Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" by Morris Kline, which explores the illogical development and uncertain validity of modern mathematics. The book raises questions about the distinction between applied and pure mathematics and the challenges to its logical structure. The main theme of the book is the crisis in modern mathematics and its potential repercussions for physics. The book has received positive reviews and can be found on Amazon. The conversation also touches on the topic of mathematical uncertainty and its relevance to physics. The speaker expresses interest in finding the book in a local bookstore.
issacnewton
Hi

I am currently reading the book "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" by Morris Kline ,who is
Professor Emeritus at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University.
I downloaded the book from some free site.

Here is product description from amazon.com

This work stresses the illogical manner in which mathematics has developed, the question of applied mathematics as against 'pure' mathematics, and the challenges to the consistency of mathematics' logical structure that have occurred in the twentieth century.

Basically , the book is discussing some kind of crisis in modern mathematics. Author says that
current mathematicians are not sure about the logical validity of many things in mathematics.
Well, that's what I understood to be the main theme.
So, I am wondering, what are the repercussions of this mathematical
uncertainty for physics ?

Here's amazon link for the book.

The reviews are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give an example of what type of uncertainty they have? I'm not really sure how you can even have mathematic uncertainty honestly. Is this a new book? Could I find it in a local book store?

Related to Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty

1. What is the main topic of "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty"?

The main topic of "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" is the history and philosophy of mathematics, specifically the concept of certainty in mathematics and how it has changed over time.

2. Who is the author of "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty"?

The author of "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" is Morris Kline, an American mathematician and professor at New York University.

3. What are some key ideas discussed in "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty"?

Some key ideas discussed in "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" include the shift from Euclidean geometry to non-Euclidean geometry, the development of calculus and its impact on the concept of infinity, and the role of logic and abstraction in mathematics.

4. How does "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" challenge traditional views of mathematics?

"Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty" challenges traditional views of mathematics by questioning the idea of absolute certainty and highlighting the subjectivity and social influences in mathematical concepts and theories.

5. Who would benefit from reading "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty"?

Anyone interested in the history and philosophy of mathematics would benefit from reading "Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty". It would also be valuable for mathematicians and educators to gain a deeper understanding of the foundations of their field.