MATLAB and the command fprintf

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter GiuseppeR7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the MATLAB command fprintf prints data to a file. The example shows how to use the command to create and print an array.
GiuseppeR7
Hi guys I'm doing some homeworks for my professor, the homeworks are some MATLAB scripts that consist in creating and running some functions. The professor is requesting that the results obtained must be written in a file using the command fprintf.
I have tried to understand the mechanics of the command in the documentation and in Google but i simply can not understand ANYTHING...any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some MATLAB documentation on it:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/fprintf.html

Try the example shown in MATLAB and learn by doing:

Matlab:
x = 0:.1:1;
A = [x; exp(x)];

fileID = fopen('exp.txt','w');
fprintf(fileID,'%6s %12s\n','x','exp(x)');
fprintf(fileID,'%6.2f %12.8f\n',A);
fclose(fileID);

What part of this example is giving you trouble in understanding?

for example what are the commands fopen and fclose doing?

When you work with files in any programming language, you must first open them and get a file handle to use for processing.

Once you've completed your work then you need to close the file.

Typically during file processing, file data is buffered so that each read or write doesn't result in a real disk read or write. Instead, several lines of data are read in and buffered awaiting for the program to read them and similarly several lines of output data are buffered and written out once the buffer is full. Closing a file flushes the remaining lines to the output file.

Also many programming languages have runtime limits where no more than X number of files may be open at the same time. So you will see programs that open a file, do some processing and then close the file as opposed to opening all the files, keeping them open for the duration of the program and then closing them at the end in order to avoid the max number of files open limit.

ok...this is one of the answers i was looking for...i worked only with Wolfram (with the easy Export[...] command) and nothing else so i never heard about this kind of stuff :p

1. What is MATLAB and how is it used?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific research and engineering. It allows users to perform complex computations, visualize data, and develop algorithms and applications.

2. What is the purpose of the command fprintf in MATLAB?

The command fprintf is used to print formatted data to the screen or to a file. It allows users to specify the format of the output, such as the number of decimal places or the alignment of text.

3. How do I use fprintf to write data to a file in MATLAB?

To write data to a file using fprintf, you first need to open the file using the fopen function. Then, use the fprintf command to format and print the data to the file. Finally, close the file using the fclose function.

4. Can I use fprintf to display variables and their values in MATLAB?

Yes, fprintf can be used to display variables and their values in MATLAB. You can use the %s placeholder to print strings, %d for integers, and %f for floating-point numbers, and include the variable names and their corresponding values in the command.

5. Is there a limit to the number of characters that can be printed using fprintf in MATLAB?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of characters that can be printed using fprintf in MATLAB. The default limit is 80 characters, but it can be changed using the format function or by specifying the width in the fprintf command.