Matrix elements of position operator in infinite well basis

In summary, the homework statement is to find the eigenfunctions of a particle in an infinite well and express the position operator in the basis of said functions. The Attempt at a Solution tells you that the eigenvalues Ei are only used to denote their respective eigenkets, and the last integral is correct.
carllacan

Homework Statement

Find the eigenfunctions of a particle in a infinite well and express the position operator in the basis of said functions.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tell me if I'm right so far (the |E> are the eigenkets)
[itex]X_{ij}= \langle E_i \vert \hat{X} \vert E_j \rangle = \int dx \int dx' \langle E_i \vert x \rangle \langle x \vert \hat{X} \vert x'\rangle \langle x'\vert E_j \rangle [/itex]
[itex] \int dx \int dx' \Psi_i^*(x) x\delta_{x, x'} \Psi_j(x') = \int dx \Psi_i^*(x) x \Psi_j(x) [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Modify your notation for the eigenfunctions.
Using E to denote an eigenfunction is very confusing.
You can read on wikipedia about the eigenfunctions for an infinite well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box
If I guessed your notations correctly, you are starting in the right direction.

The eigenvalues Ei are only used to denote their respective eigenkets, the wavefunctions are denoted by the index of the eigenvalue. I think I've seen this in many books.

The last integral is correct then? I was not sure how to handle the delta.

Yes it is correct.
By definition, I would say.
It looks more like a change of notation rather than any derivation of something!

[tex]X_{ij}= \langle \Psi_i \vert \hat{X} \vert \Psi_j \rangle[/tex]

Which is indeed the integral you have written!

The state is independent of its representation.
Therefore I see no need to distinguish between

[tex]\langle \Psi_i \vert \hat{X} \vert \Psi_j \rangle[/tex]

and

[tex]\langle E_i \vert \hat{X} \vert E_j \rangle[/tex]

Likes 1 person
Yes, you are right, but I first needed to state it in terms of the wavefunctions, and I wasn't quite sure if I had done it right.

Thanks.

What are matrix elements of position operator in infinite well basis?

The matrix elements of position operator in infinite well basis refer to the values that represent the position of a particle in an infinite well potential. These values are represented by a matrix in the basis of the infinite well potential.

How are matrix elements of position operator calculated?

The matrix elements of position operator can be calculated by taking the inner product of the position eigenstates in the infinite well basis. This involves integrating the product of the position eigenstates with the position operator.

What is the significance of matrix elements of position operator in infinite well basis?

The matrix elements of position operator in infinite well basis are important for understanding the spatial distribution of a particle in the infinite well potential. They can also be used to calculate other physical quantities such as momentum and energy.

Can matrix elements of position operator be used to determine the probability of finding a particle in a specific location?

Yes, the matrix elements of position operator can be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific location within the infinite well potential. This is done by taking the absolute value squared of the matrix element.

Are there any limitations to using matrix elements of position operator in infinite well basis?

One limitation of using matrix elements of position operator in infinite well basis is that they can only be applied to systems with well-defined boundaries, such as the infinite well potential. They also do not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions between particles.