Max/min of multivariate function

In summary, the constrained function f(x,y) = x + y with the constraint xy = 16 does not have any absolute extrema. While it does have relative min/max points, these are not considered absolute extrema because there are points where x+y can get larger or smaller. When considering the positive and third quadrants separately, the constrained function does have a minimum and maximum, respectively.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

max/min of
f(x,y) = x + y
constraint xy = 16

The Attempt at a Solution

With lagrange multipliers I did
## \nabla f = (1,1) ##
## \nabla g = (y,x) ##
## \nabla f = \lambda \nabla g ##
## 1 = \lambda y ##
## 1 = \lambda x ##
Since y=0, x=0 aren't a part of xy = 16 I can isolate for lambda

## y = x ##
## y^2 = 16 ##
## y = \pm 4 ##
## y = 4, x = 4##
## y = -4, x = -4 ##
## f(4,4) = 8 ##
## f(-4,-4) = -8 ##
I got these values, but my answer key says that there are no minimums or maximums, can anyone explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The values you have found are relative min/max points as you move along xy=16. But neither are absolute extrema because x+y gets larger and smaller than both then you let either x or y get large positive or negative.

Yea I understand since as x approaches infinity, y approaches 0, or x approach negative infintiy y approaches 0, so f(x,y) never has a max or min.

Panphobia said:
Yea I understand since as x approaches infinity, y approaches 0, or x approach negative infintiy y approaches 0, so f(x,y) never has a max or min.

In the positive quadrant ##x, y \geq 0## your constrained ##f## does have a minimum, but no maximum. In the third quadrant ##x \leq 0, y \leq 0## the constrained function has a maximum, but no minimum. If we throw out the information about quadrants then, of course, it is true that the constrained ##f## had neither a maximum nor a minimum.

1. What is a multivariate function?

A multivariate function is a mathematical function that takes multiple variables as inputs and produces a single output. For example, the function f(x,y) = 2x + y is a multivariate function with two variables, x and y.

2. How do you find the maximum and minimum of a multivariate function?

To find the maximum and minimum of a multivariate function, you can use a variety of methods such as partial derivatives, the method of Lagrange multipliers, or graphing the function to visually identify the maximum and minimum points.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum and minimum of a multivariate function?

Finding the maximum and minimum of a multivariate function can help in optimizing a system or process. For example, in economics, finding the maximum profit or minimum cost can help in making informed decisions. Additionally, in physics, finding the maximum or minimum of a physical quantity can help in understanding the behavior of a system.

4. Can a multivariate function have more than one maximum or minimum?

Yes, a multivariate function can have multiple maximum and minimum points. These points are known as local maxima and minima. The absolute maximum and minimum of a multivariate function can only exist at one point.

5. How can you determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum?

To determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative at the critical point is positive, then it is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, then it is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, then the test is inconclusive.