Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) Reputation for PhDs in Physics

In summary, the MPI in Heidelberg is considered prestigious, but not as prestigious as some of the universities on the ARWU list.
kop442000
I am considering PhD positions in Physics. Can you guys tell me how reputable Max Planck institute (Heidelberg) is compared to top universities?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's considered quite prestigious to do your PhD with someone there, but if it's anything like the MPI in Munich, they don't offer PhDs directly - you'd have to be enrolled in a nearby university and be working with someone at the MPI.

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I guess my PhD would actually come from the university of Heidelberg. What are the best places in Eurpoe to go for physics. Most specifically astrophysics?

Thanks,
kop442000

According to ARWU, the top European Universities in Physics are:
1. University of Cambridge
2. Imperial College London
3. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich
4. Université de Paris Sud
5. University of Munich

Although really that is based on research output so it may have nothing to do with the quality of instruction there.. The full list is here : http://www.arwu.org/SubjectPhysics2009.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay thank you. And I assume Max Planck Institute would not appear on there because it is not a university, but does anyone know how it would compare to the list above?

Hi,
In Germany (and i guess in many countries), only Universities are allowed to grant the PhD degree. Therefore, any institute in Germany are not qualified or eligible to give you PhD degree. To my knowledge, in Germany there is no university that grant you PhD degree, instead you get a degree equivalent to PhD, which is called as Dr. rer. nat [Doctor of natural sciences] in physics. Moreover, when you work on your PhD, you are technically not a student but you are called as scientific cooworker.
I my view, Although MPGs are considered as reputed and famous, i have seen several people, even after finishing PhD find difficult to find some positions. However MPGs are very prestigious.
For Physics in Germany: Göttingen and München are good; Heidelberg is good for Chemistry.

Rajini said:
Hi,
In Germany (and i guess in many countries), only Universities are allowed to grant the PhD degree. Therefore, any institute in Germany are not qualified or eligible to give you PhD degree.

This is true, but the leading positions of the Max Planck institutes are usually joint with professorships at the university which is hosting the MPI, so it is possible to get the Dr. rer. nat. there. The MPIs usually have a very sensible amount of funding. And in most cases you do not have to do teaching at MPIs during your time there, while it is quite usual to do some teaching when doing your Dr. rer. nat. at an university.

Hi cthuga,
yes i agree this scheme joint professorships..MPGs pay phd students 200 to 300 EUR more than in Univ (also no teaching jobs).

Related to Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) Reputation for PhDs in Physics

What is the Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) known for in terms of PhDs in Physics?

The Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) is known for its excellent reputation in producing high-quality and highly skilled PhDs in the field of physics. This institute is recognized as one of the leading research institutions in the world, and has produced numerous Nobel laureates in physics.

How does the Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) prepare their PhD students for successful careers in physics?

The Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) provides a highly competitive and rigorous training program for their PhD students. They are exposed to cutting-edge research projects and given the opportunity to work with renowned physicists in their chosen field. The institute also offers a wide range of resources and support for their students, including state-of-the-art facilities, funding opportunities, and career development programs.

What sets the Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) apart from other institutions in terms of their PhD program in physics?

The Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) is unique in its focus on interdisciplinary research and collaboration. This allows their PhD students to gain a broad understanding of different fields within physics, and develop a diverse skill set that is highly valued in the scientific community. Additionally, the institute has a strong international presence and attracts top talent from around the world, creating a dynamic and diverse learning environment.

How does the reputation of the Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) impact the opportunities for their PhD graduates?

The reputation of the Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) as a world-renowned research institution greatly enhances the opportunities for their PhD graduates. Many employers and academic institutions recognize the quality of education and training that students receive at this institute, making them highly sought after in the job market. Additionally, the network and connections that students develop during their time at the institute often lead to further career opportunities.

What kind of research opportunities are available for PhD students at the Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg)?

The Max Planck Institute (Heidelberg) offers a wide range of research opportunities for their PhD students, covering various fields within physics such as astrophysics, quantum physics, and biophysics. Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, and are encouraged to pursue their own research interests. The institute also has numerous collaborations with other institutions and research organizations, providing students with even more opportunities to engage in cutting-edge research projects.