Max Weight for Newton Law Problem Homework

In summary, the problem is to determine the maximum weight that can be safely supported by two ropes with maximum tension of 5000N each, connected to the ceiling at angles of 60 and 40 degrees. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram and using the equation 5000*sin60 + 5000*sin40 = maxweight, with the correct answer being 6400N. However, there may be an error in the problem as the angles do not appear to be equal, making equilibrium impossible.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

If the maximum tension either rope can sustaine without breaking is 5000N determine the maximum value of the hanging weight that these ropes can safetly support.

the diagram shows two ropes connecting at a node which leads down to a weight,
the first rope on the left is connected to the ceiling making a 60 degree angle with the ceiling and the rope on the left is connected to the ceiling making a 40 degree angle with the ceiling they both converge into one point where a weight hangs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram at the point where the two ropes meet and the weight hangs. And I did 5000*sin60 + 5000*sin40 = maxweight but this is not giving me the correct answer the answer is 6400N. I don't get what I am doing wrong. Here is an attempt at the diagram haha, the angles would be formed on the inside of the V at the top between ceiling and the two sides of the rope.
(V's point to where the angles are)
---V--V-
--\----/---
---\--/----
----\/-----
----|------
---weight---

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you got the problem text right? There is something senselsss here - i.e. if you wrote down the equation of equilibrium for the x direction, the resultant would not equal zero, since the angles differ. Equilibrium would only be possible for equal angles.

well the rope on the 40 angle side appears to be longer but besides that yes everything is correct

Last edited:

Related to Max Weight for Newton Law Problem Homework

1. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. This law is used to calculate the max weight that can be lifted in a Newton Law problem.

2. How do I calculate the max weight for a Newton Law problem?

To calculate the max weight in a Newton Law problem, you first need to identify the acceleration and mass involved. Then, plug those values into the equation F=ma. The resulting force, measured in Newtons, is the maximum weight that can be lifted or moved in the problem.

3. What units are used to measure weight in a Newton Law problem?

The unit used to measure weight in a Newton Law problem is Newtons (N), named after Sir Isaac Newton. This unit is a measure of force and is equivalent to 1 kilogram-meter per second squared (kg*m/s2).

4. Can the max weight in a Newton Law problem be greater than the actual weight of an object?

Yes, the max weight in a Newton Law problem can be greater than the actual weight of an object. This is because the max weight is determined by the net force and acceleration, not the actual weight of the object. However, in reality, the object may not be able to lift or move the max weight due to other factors such as friction and air resistance.

5. How is Newton's Second Law of Motion used in real life?

Newton's Second Law of Motion is used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the weight limit for elevators, determining the force needed to accelerate a vehicle, and designing structures that can withstand certain forces. It is also the basis for many sports and activities, such as weightlifting and car racing, where understanding and applying this law can lead to improved performance and safety.