Maxima and Minima of two-variable functions word problem

In summary, the conversation is about a manufacturer trying to determine the best pricing strategy for their two models of an item, standard and deluxe. They have a cost of $40 for the standard model and $60 for the deluxe, and a market research firm has provided an equation to estimate sales based on the pricing of the two models. The problem is to find the pricing strategy that maximizes profit. The conversation involves finding the critical points of the profit function and discussing the steps to do so.
carleon
1. Problem:
A manufacturer makes two models of an item, standard and deluxe. It costs $40 to manufacture the standard model, and $60 for the deluxe. A market research firm estimates that if the standard model is priced at x dollars, and the deluxe at y dollars, then the manufacturer will sell 500(y-x) of the standard items and 45000 + 500(x-2y) of the deluxe items each year. How should the items be priced to maximize profit?

2. Homework Equations : none

3. The Attempt at a Solution :
I have f1x = -500, f1y = 500, and f2x = 500 and f2y = -1000
But none of these equations have critical points, so I know I'm supposed to check the boundaries next, but I don't know how to find them, or the absolute max. Also, never done this with two separate equations before, and I think that just means that I should do them seperately and use the points they have in common, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking at the wrong functions. You want to maximize the profit p(x,y), so you're looking for the critical point of p(x,y). Start by writing down an expression for p(x,y).

Thanks for responding! So I wrote an equation, which simplifies to P(x,y) = 45000-40x-560y, but I still have the same problems, where, fx = -40 and fy = -560. So how do I find the critical points?

carleon said:
Thanks for responding! So I wrote an equation, which simplifies to P(x,y) = 45000-40x-560y, but I still have the same problems, where, fx = -40 and fy = -560. So how do I find the critical points?

How did you get your P(x,y)---show the steps! This is important, because your P(x,y) is seriously wrong, and unless you show how you got it nobody can give you any helpful hints.

1. What is the definition of maxima and minima in two-variable functions?

Maxima and minima are critical points in a two-variable function where the function reaches its highest or lowest value, respectively. These points are also known as local extremes.

2. How can I identify the maxima and minima of a two-variable function?

To identify the maxima and minima of a two-variable function, you can use the first and second derivative tests. The first derivative test involves finding the critical points of the function and evaluating the first derivative at these points. If the first derivative is positive at a critical point, it is a local minimum, and if it is negative, it is a local maximum. The second derivative test involves evaluating the second derivative at the critical points. If the second derivative is positive, it is a local minimum, and if it is negative, it is a local maximum.

3. What is the difference between global and local maxima and minima?

A global maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest value of a function over its entire domain. A local maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest value of a function over a specific interval or range of values. A local maximum or minimum may or may not be a global maximum or minimum.

4. Can a two-variable function have more than one maxima or minima?

Yes, a two-variable function can have multiple local maxima or minima. These points are known as relative maxima or minima. However, a function can only have one global maximum and one global minimum.

5. How are maxima and minima of two-variable functions used in real-world applications?

Maxima and minima of two-variable functions are used to optimize real-world problems. For example, they can be used to determine the maximum profit or minimum cost in a business or to find the maximum or minimum value of a physical quantity such as velocity or acceleration in physics. They are also used in economics, engineering, and other fields to find the optimal solution to various problems.