Maxima minina on an interval (calculus+trig)

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the maximum or minimum value of a function on a given interval. The function in question is f(x)=x+cos(x) on the interval <-PI,2pi>. There is a provided solution that involves taking the derivative of the function, f'(x)=1-sin(x). However, the solution states that this is only half of the answer and mentions the reasoning of f'(x) being greater than or equal to 0 due to the maximum value of sin(x) being 1. The speaker also clarifies the wording of the solution.
quicksilver123
IMG_2066.jpg
I need to find the max/min of a function on an interval.
The function is f(x)=x+cos(x) and the interval is <-PI,2pi>
There is an attached solution but I do not understand how to arrive at the given solution (see screenshot). I would personally just take the derivative as
F'(x)=1-sin(x)
However the solution says this is only half the answer and I do not understand the reasoning (I am trying to do this algebraicly, without thinking of it graphically).

Physics news on Phys.org
quicksilver123 said:
the solution says this is only half the answer
I think you may be misinterpreting what it says. It is strangely worded. Better would be "f'(x)=1-sin(x), which is ≥0 since sin(x)≤1 for any real x".

Likes quicksilver123
Thanks

1. What is Maxima minima on an interval?

Maxima minima on an interval refers to the highest and lowest values of a function or graph over a specific interval. It represents the maximum and minimum points on the graph within a given interval.

2. How is Maxima minima on an interval calculated?

To calculate Maxima minima on an interval, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it to zero. Then, solve for the x-values that make the derivative equal to zero. These x-values represent the critical points, which can be used to determine the maxima and minima on the interval.

3. Why is it important to find Maxima minima on an interval?

Finding Maxima minima on an interval is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function over a specific range. It can also provide valuable information about the function, such as its increasing and decreasing intervals, and the location of maximum and minimum values.

4. Can Maxima minima on an interval be negative?

Yes, Maxima minima on an interval can be negative. It simply means that the function has a negative value at that point, and it is the minimum value within the given interval. Similarly, a positive Maxima minima on an interval would indicate the maximum value of the function within the interval.

5. How is trigonometry related to Maxima minima on an interval?

Trigonometry is often used in calculus to study the behavior of functions, including finding the Maxima minima on an interval. Trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, can have maximum and minimum values within a given interval, and their derivatives can help us determine these values.