Maximal repellence between charged spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the correct size of the charges on two spheres in order to maximize the repulsive force between them at a given distance. Two methods are proposed, one using calculus and the other using a different approach. It is also noted that the problem becomes more complicated if the spheres conduct. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the difference between local and global maximums and the concept of completing the square.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! I just started electromagnetism, and I'd like to make sure I get the concepts correctly before going further. I got this homework:

A charge is shared between two spheres. How big must the share of charge relative to one another be, so that there is the maximal repellent force between them with a given distance r.

Homework Equations

Coulomb force: [tex] F_c = \frac{1}{4 \cdot π \cdot ε_0} \cdot \frac{q_1 \cdot q_2}{r^2}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that the charges must have the same sign to make the coulomb force repellent, so my first guess would be that q1 and q2 will repel each other at most when there are equal, that is q1 = q2 = ½⋅∑q. Is that correct? Sounds a bit too easy, but it's only the first homework :)

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers!Julien.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good guess. Now you need to underpin it. Total charge Q is given, say a fraction f goes to q1. Express the force in terms of f and maximize !

@BvU Cool, thanks for your answer! Here's the coulomb's force between the two charges:

[tex]
F_c = \frac{1}{4 \cdot π \cdot ε_0} \cdot \frac{a \cdot q \cdot (1 - a) \cdot q}{r^2} = \frac{1}{4 \cdot π \cdot ε_0} \cdot \frac{(a - a^2) \cdot q^2}{r^2}
[/tex]

That means Fc is maximal when (-a2 + a) is maximal, so I differentiate it and find:

[tex]
\frac{d}{da} (-a^2 + a) = -2a + 1 \implies a = \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]
q_1 = q_2 = \frac{1}{2} \cdot q
[/tex]

What do you think?Julien.

JulienB said:
@BvU Cool, thanks for your answer! Here's the coulomb's force between the two charges:

[tex]
F_c = \frac{1}{4 \cdot π \cdot ε_0} \cdot \frac{a \cdot q \cdot (1 - a) \cdot q}{r^2} = \frac{1}{4 \cdot π \cdot ε_0} \cdot \frac{(a - a^2) \cdot q^2}{r^2}
[/tex]

That means Fc is maximal when (-a2 + a) is maximal, so I differentiate it and find:

[tex]
\frac{d}{da} (-a^2 + a) = -2a + 1 \implies a = \frac{1}{2}
[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]
q_1 = q_2 = \frac{1}{2} \cdot q
[/tex]

What do you think?Julien.
Strictly speaking, that only shows it is a local extremum. A bit more work is needed to show it is a local maximum, and a bit more to show it is a global maximum.
An easier way avoids calculus. Get a(1-a) into the form (some constant)+/-(some function of a)2.

I note that it does not say whether the spheres conduct. If they do, your expression for the repulsive force is not correct. It becomes a lot more complicated, even to the point that two conducting spheres of like charge can attract.

Spot on ! Well done :smile:.

Haru:
JulienB said:
I just started electromagnetism
So the size of the spheres is ignored.

@haruspex @BvU Thanks for your answers. The 2nd derivative being negative, it means that it is a local maximum. Since the first derivative is equal to zero for only one value, this local maximum must be a global maximum. Does that work?

@haruspex I don't really get your other method. Can you describe it a little more please?Thanks a lot to both of you!Julien.

JulienB said:
@haruspex @BvU Thanks for your answers. The 2nd derivative being negative, it means that it is a local maximum. Since the first derivative is equal to zero for only one value, this local maximum must be a global maximum. Does that work?

@haruspex I don't really get your other method. Can you describe it a little more please?Thanks a lot to both of you!Julien.
Local versus global can also be complicated by the domain of the function. E.g. the maximum of 1/(1+x+y) in the first quadrant.

Did you try expressing a-a2 in the form I said? Do you know how to "complete the square"?

Related to Maximal repellence between charged spheres

1. What is maximal repellence between charged spheres?

Maximal repellence between charged spheres is the maximum amount of force that can be exerted between two charged spheres when they are placed a certain distance apart. This force is caused by the repulsion between the like charges on the spheres.

2. How is maximal repellence between charged spheres calculated?

The maximal repellence between charged spheres is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the maximal repellence between charged spheres?

The maximal repellence between charged spheres is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the spheres, the distance between the spheres, and the dielectric constant of the medium between the spheres.

4. Can the maximal repellence between charged spheres ever be zero?

No, the maximal repellence between charged spheres cannot be zero. This is because even if the charges on the spheres are very small, there will still be some amount of force between them due to Coulomb's law.

5. Why is maximal repellence between charged spheres important in scientific research?

The study of maximal repellence between charged spheres is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior of charged particles and the forces that act between them. This knowledge is useful in fields such as physics, chemistry, and materials science, where charged particles play a crucial role.