Maximization problem with simplex method

So, in my case, BV ##s_3## is exchanged for BV ##y##, so I update the BV labels accordingly. I think this is a good practice to get into to helps keep track of what is going on with the algorithm. In summary, the optimal solution is (in terms of basic variables) ##x_1=18, x_2=3, x_3=0, z_1=0, z_2=0, z_3=0## with the optimal profit being ##P=51##.
s3a

Homework Statement

Maximize the profit function P = 3x - y - 2z subject to the following

x - y - z ≤ 15
2x - y + 2z ≤ 50
2x + y + z ≤ 39

, where x ≥ 0, y ≥ 0, z ≥ 0.

Homework Equations

Simplex method / Simplex algorithm

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello to everyone who is reading this. :)

Here is my work:
https://pastebin.com/CT6cjMBu

As you can see from my work (in the above link), I get that max P = 51, which happens when (x_1, x_2, x_3) = (18, 0, 3).

However, the answer in the PDF says "Max P = 51 at (18, 3, 0)". Should it say (18, 0, 3), or am I the one that’s wrong? If I’m wrong, could someone please point out where my mistake is? Is this just a simple typo in the PDF with the answer?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Substituting your numbers back in, I get P=48 and the solution is valid. Substituting their numbers back in, I get P=51 and the solution is feasible.

For both solutions, the first and last constraints are both active, but the book solution gets closer to the second constraint (less slack).

You probably should have pivoted again (or you pivoted one too many times). You should double check why you terminated.

Last edited:
s3a said:

Homework Statement

x - y - z ≤ 15
2x - y + 2z ≤ 50
2x + y + z ≤ 39

Homework Equations

Here is my work:

It occurs to me that doing simplex by hand is deeply unpleasant. I ran this LP quickly in Julia to corroborate the official solution.

s3a said:
As you can see from my work (in the above link), I get that max P = 51, which happens when (x_1, x_2, x_3) = (18, 0, 3).

However, the answer in the PDF says "Max P = 51 at (18, 3, 0)". Should it say (18, 0, 3), or am I the one that’s wrong? If I’m wrong, could someone please point out where my mistake is? Is this just a simple typo in the PDF with the answer?

It is not hard to confirm by hand that your answer is wrong, though. This is an idea that comes up many times in computing -- for a large class of problems, its easy to check the answer though perhaps a lot of work to get said answer.

Notice that the official solution of ##P(18, 3, 0) = 3*18 - 3 - 2*0 = 51##. Your proposed solution of ##P(18, 0, 3) = 3 * 18 - 0 -2*3 = 48##. It's also easy to verify that ##(18, 3, 0)## is legal according to the supplied constraints. From this we can be certain that your solution of ##(18, 0, 3)## is not correct. Proving that we cannot do better than ##P(18, 3, 0)##, however takes a lot more work -- typically using duality.

I'm guessing that you flipped the y and z around on accident, and just need to 'unflip' them to have the correct answer.

Likes FactChecker
Thanks for the insightful comments. :)

It turns out that the problem was that I had to put the variable that's at the top of the matrix for the pivot column on the left of the matrix, whereas what I had incorrectly done is say to myself "This is the third row, so the i in x_i is 3.", but it should have been x_2, because the pivot was on the second column.

s3a said:

Homework Statement

x - y - z ≤ 15
2x - y + 2z ≤ 50
2x + y + z ≤ 39

Homework Equations

Here is my work:

The initial tableu is
$$\begin{array}{c|cccccc|r}
\text{BV} &x&y&z&s_1&s_2&s_3&\text{rhs}\\
\hline
P&-3&1&2&0&0&0&0\\
s_1&1&-1&-1&1&0&0&15\\
s_2&2&-1&2&0&1&0&50\\
s_3&2&1&1&0&0&1&39\\
\hline
\end{array}
$$
Here, BV stands for "basic variable", so the basic variables in the first tableau are ##P, s_1, s_2, s_3.##

After the two simplex steps you outline I get the the new tableau:
$$\begin{array}{c|cccccc|r}
\text{BV}&x&y&z&s_1&s_2&s_3&\text{rhs}\\
\hline
P&0&0&1&5/3&0&2/3&51\\
x&1&0&0&1/3&0&1/3&18\\
s_2&0&0&3&-4/3&1&-1/3&17\\
y&0&1&1&-2/3&0&1/3&3\\
\hline
\end{array}
$$
The optimal basic solution is ##(P,x,y,s_2) = (51,18,3,17)## (basic variables) and ##z=s_1=s_3=0## (non-basic variables). To keep thing straight I recommend you append a column of basic-variable labels (called BV in my tableaux), and each time an old basic variable leaves and an old non-basic variable enters the new basis, the BV label is changed accordingly.

Last edited:

1. What is the simplex method used for in optimization problems?

The simplex method is a widely used algorithm in linear programming for solving optimization problems. It is used to find the optimal solution to a linear program by progressing through a series of steps that move towards the direction of the optimal solution.

2. How does the simplex method work?

The simplex method starts with an initial feasible solution and then proceeds to improve the solution until the optimal solution is reached. It does this by finding the most profitable direction of movement at each step until no further improvement can be made.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a maximization problem using the simplex method?

The steps involved in solving a maximization problem using the simplex method are as follows:

• Step 1: Formulate the problem in standard form
  • Step 2: Construct the initial simplex tableau
  • Step 3: Choose a pivot element
  • Step 4: Perform row operations to make the pivot element 1 and all other elements in the pivot column 0
  • Step 5: Update the tableau and repeat the process until an optimal solution is reached

4. What is the difference between maximization and minimization problems in the simplex method?

In maximization problems, the goal is to find the maximum possible value of the objective function, while in minimization problems, the goal is to find the minimum possible value. This means that the direction of movement in the simplex method is opposite in these two types of problems.

5. What are some limitations of the simplex method?

While the simplex method is a powerful tool for solving optimization problems, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for linear programming problems, and it may not always find the optimal solution if the problem has multiple optimal solutions or is infeasible. Additionally, it can become computationally expensive for large-scale problems with many variables and constraints. In these cases, other methods such as the interior point method may be more efficient.