Solve the inequality problem that involves modulus

In summary, the question is how to solve the inequality ##|\frac {5}{2x-3}| < 1## using an alternative method, and the solution involves rewriting the inequality as ##|2x - 3| > 5## and finding the critical values of x. The expert suggests another method and points out an error in the original solution.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
modulus
This is the question * consider the highlighted question only *with its solution shown (from textbook);

1639307124007.png

My approach is as follows (alternative method),
##|\frac {5}{2x-3}| ##< ## 1##
Let, ##\frac {5}{2x-3} ##⋅##\frac {5}{2x-3}##=##1##
→##x^2-3x-4=0##
##(x+1)(x-4)=0##
it follows that the critical values are ##x_1=-1## and ##x_2=4##, which will give the correct solution once we confirm/establish the valid region in the given inequality.
Is their another method on this type of questions? ... regards

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]5<|2x-3|[/tex]
[tex]5/2<|x-3/2|[/tex]
[tex]x-3/2<-5/2, \ 5/2<x-3/2[/tex]
[tex]x<-1, \ 4<x[/tex]

Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]5<|2x-3|[/tex]
[tex]5/2<|x-3/2|[/tex]
[tex]x-3/2<-5/2, \ 5/2<x-3/2[/tex]
[tex]x<-1, \ 4<x[/tex]
Nice one, I will write this in my notebook ...good way to simplify ...##ax...##

anuttarasammyak said:
##5<|2x-3|##
##5/2<|x-3/2|##
##x-3/2<-5/2, \ 5/2<x-3/2##
##x<-1, \ 4<x##
The use of commas in the last two lines implies "and", which can't happen here, as it's impossible for x to be both less than -1 and larger than 4.
Here's how I would write this:
##|2x - 3| > 5##
##2x - 3 > 5 \text{ or } 2x - 3 < -5##
##2x > 8 \text{ or } 2x < -2##
##x > 4 \text{ or } x < -1##

Likes chwala and anuttarasammyak
Thanks Mark...a learning point for me too...
Mark44 said:
The use of commas in the last two lines implies "and", which can't happen here, as it's impossible for x to be both less than -1 and larger than 4.
Here's how I would write this:
##|2x - 3| > 5##
##2x - 3 > 5 \text{ or } 2x - 3 < -5##
##2x > 8 \text{ or } 2x < -2##
##x > 4 \text{ or } x < -1##

1. What is a modulus in an inequality problem?

A modulus is a mathematical operation that calculates the absolute value of a number. In an inequality problem, the modulus is used to represent the distance between a number and zero on a number line.

2. How do I solve an inequality problem involving modulus?

To solve an inequality problem involving modulus, you first need to isolate the modulus expression on one side of the inequality. Then, you can rewrite the expression inside the modulus as a positive or negative value, depending on the inequality symbol. Finally, you can solve the inequality as you would with any other expression.

3. Can an inequality problem involving modulus have more than one solution?

Yes, an inequality problem involving modulus can have more than one solution. This is because the modulus operation only calculates the distance between a number and zero, so there can be multiple numbers that satisfy the inequality.

4. Are there any special rules for solving an inequality problem with a negative modulus?

No, there are no special rules for solving an inequality problem with a negative modulus. You can follow the same steps as you would for a positive modulus, but make sure to pay attention to the inequality symbol and adjust the expression inside the modulus accordingly.

5. Can I graph an inequality problem involving modulus?

Yes, you can graph an inequality problem involving modulus. The modulus expression will be represented as a vertical line on the graph, and the solution will be the region on the number line that satisfies the inequality. You can also use this graph to check your solution to the inequality problem.