Maximize the function with constraints

In summary, the conversation discusses various approaches to solve an optimization problem involving a domain bounded by a circle of radius 1 centered at the origin, and a plane intersecting the sphere. The conversation touches on using spherical coordinates and the method of Lagrange multipliers, but ultimately, the optimal solution is found using numerical techniques. There is also a discussion about the exact definition of the domain and whether it includes just the points of intersection or also interior points. There is a hint about the domain being bounded, but it is not considered to be very helpful. The conversation ends with a comparison of solutions obtained using different domains on the same website.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
find the max of f=xyz on the domain bounded by the unit sphere in R3 and x+y+z=0
Relevant Equations
xyz
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1
x+y+z=0
I tried parametrizing the domain using spherical coordinates, with theta and phi.

I also tried the method of lagrange multipliers, but the substitutions don't easily result in an easy solution. It requires solving five equations for five variables, and no easy way to isolate variables.

I think the hint is pointing at the fact the domain is a circle of radius 1 centered at the origin.

graph of the domain is the intersection of the green plane and the hollow red sphere.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 10.47.33 PM.png

Any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
docnet said:
arcsin(cos(theta)) terms, which can't easily be evaluated by hand.
Really? You can't think what relationship between two angles would ensure that the sine of one is the cosine of the other?

Likes docnet
haruspex said:
Really? You can't think what relationship between two angles would ensure that the sine of one is the cosine of the other?

arcsin(cos(theta)) = (pi/2 - theta)

I have a feeling parametrisation should not be used, because we didn't learn it in this class. could we modify the constraints to make the method of lagrange multipliers easier to use?

Last edited:
It is not clear to me which exactly is the domain of the optimization problem. Is it only the points of intersection of the unit sphere with the plane x+y+z=0 or does it include the "interior" points too? By interior points i mean the points that are for example below the plane x+y+z=0 and inside or on the surface of the unit sphere.

Delta2 said:
It is not clear to me which exactly is the domain of the optimization problem. Is it only the points of intersection of the unit sphere with the plane x+y+z=0 or does it include the "interior" points too? By interior points i mean the points that are for example below the plane x+y+z=0 and inside or on the surface of the unit sphere.
It says "bounded by", which implies a spatial domain. (In general, one higher dimension than the bound.)
But then the question is which side of the bounding plane? Doesn't matter much because by symmetry we can ignore that bound and simply adjust the signs of the coordinates at the end.

As against that:
docnet said:
I think the hint is pointing at the fact the domain is a circle of radius 1 centered at the origin.
What hint?

haruspex said:
It says "bounded by", which implies a spatial domain. (In general, one higher dimension than the bound.)
But then the question is which side of the bounding plane? Doesn't matter much because by symmetry we can ignore that bound and simply adjust the signs of the coordinates at the end.

As against that:

What hint?

I believe you are right, the domain is the intersection of the two sets. The graph shows the set of all points in a circle of radius 1, centered at the origin and tilted 45 degrees.

The hint says "the domain is bounded". sorry i didn't include it earlier. to be honest, I don't think the hint is very useful.

Here is my attempt so far with the method of Lagrange Multipliers, which is the method we are supposed to use for this problem. I believe all the work here is correct, which is not much.

L = x y z - lambda1 (x + y + z) - lambda2 (x^2 + y^2 + z^2 -1)

A system of five equations to solve for lambdas, x, y, z:

Lx = yz - lambda1 - 2 x lambda2 = 0
Ly = xz - lambda1 - 2 y lambda2 = 0
Lz = xy - lambda1 - 2 z lambda2 = 0
x + y + z = 0
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:

I believe the domain is just on the intersection of the two surfaces.

Delta2 said:
have a look at wolfram for the answer, i setup as domain the second case to include the interior points, wolfram seems to find an analytical solution.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=max+xyz+subject+to+x^2+y^2+z^2<=1,x+y+z<=0

Interesting, I used the same website to calculate the solution, and it gives me three different maximums:

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 12.57.26 AM.png

Yes, ok, you used a different domain and wolfram goes through numerical techniques for this domain while on my domain i believe it finds the solutions through analytical means.

Just learned we are supposed to use the method of Bordered Hessian Determinants to solve this problem. Not the Lagrange Multipliers.. I'll update in the morning with answers. thank you all.

Likes Delta2
docnet said:
tilted 45 degrees.
No, it's something like arcsin(√(2/3)).
docnet said:
I believe all the work here is correct, which is not much.
If you were to pursue Langrangian Multipliers here the next step would be to take partial derivatives wrt each of the five.

haruspex said:
No, it's something like arcsin(√(2/3)).

If you were to pursue Langrangian Multipliers here the next step would be to take partial derivatives wrt each of the five.
Oh yes you are right!

I have taken the partial derivatives and resulted in the five equations. If I did it right, the system should give us solutions at the coordinates of local and global extrema, which we can check individually.

I just saw this, but this system of equations solver could be very useful.

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/system-of-equations-calculator

docnet said:
Oh yes you are right!

I have taken the partial derivatives and resulted in the five equations. If I did it right, the system should give us solutions at the coordinates of local and global extrema, which we can check individually.

I just saw this, but this system of equations solver could be very useful.

https://www.symbolab.com/solver/system-of-equations-calculator
From the five equations, the multiplier for x+y+z=0 is found very easily. The rest is a bit more challenging.

1. What is the purpose of maximizing a function with constraints?

The purpose of maximizing a function with constraints is to find the optimal value of the function while adhering to certain limitations or conditions. This can be useful in various fields such as economics, engineering, and statistics.

2. How do constraints affect the maximum value of a function?

Constraints can limit the potential maximum value of a function by restricting the range of possible inputs or outputs. This means that the maximum value may not be achievable or may be different from what it would be without the constraints.

3. What are some common types of constraints in function maximization?

Some common types of constraints include equality constraints, where the function must equal a certain value, and inequality constraints, where the function must be less than or greater than a certain value. Other types include non-negativity constraints and upper or lower bounds on the variables.

4. How can optimization techniques be used to maximize a function with constraints?

Optimization techniques such as linear programming, quadratic programming, and nonlinear programming can be used to find the maximum value of a function while satisfying the given constraints. These techniques involve finding the best possible solution within the constraints.

5. What are some real-world applications of maximizing a function with constraints?

Maximizing a function with constraints has many real-world applications, including resource allocation, portfolio optimization, production planning, and scheduling. It can also be used in machine learning and data analysis to find the best fitting model or parameters for a given dataset.