Maximizing Fuel Efficiency: Calculating Gas Mileage for a 20% Efficient Car

• Thread starter preluderacer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Gas
In summary, gas mileage, or fuel economy, is a measure of how far a car can travel on a certain amount of fuel. It is calculated by dividing the number of miles driven by the amount of gas used, typically measured in miles per gallon (mpg). Many factors can affect a car's gas mileage, such as driving habits, road conditions, and vehicle maintenance. Calculating gas mileage can help save money on gas expenses and reduce environmental impact. There is often a difference between city and highway gas mileage, with highway driving resulting in higher gas mileage due to more consistent speeds.
preluderacer

Homework Statement

A car's engine is 20% efficient. When cruising, the car encounters an average retarding force of 1000 N. If the energy content of gasoline is 40 megajoules per liter, how many kilometers per liter does the car get?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do it divide 40 MJ per liter by 1000 N = 40000 meters. I then converted to km per liter which gave me 40km per liter. I think multiplied by 20% and got 8 km per liter. I am not quite sure if this was the right method.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maximizing Fuel Efficiency: Calculating Gas Mileage for a 20% Efficient Car

What is gas mileage?

Gas mileage, also known as fuel economy, is a measure of how far a car can travel on a certain amount of fuel. It is typically measured in miles per gallon (mpg) in the United States.

How is gas mileage calculated?

To calculate gas mileage, you divide the number of miles driven by the amount of gas used. For example, if you drive 200 miles and use 10 gallons of gas, your gas mileage would be 20 mpg (200 miles / 10 gallons = 20 mpg).

What factors can affect a car's gas mileage?

There are many factors that can affect a car's gas mileage, including driving habits, road conditions, vehicle maintenance, and the car's make and model. Driving at high speeds, frequent acceleration and braking, and carrying heavy loads can all decrease gas mileage.

Why is it important to calculate gas mileage?

Calculating gas mileage can help you understand how efficiently your car is using fuel. This can help you make informed decisions about your driving habits and vehicle maintenance, which can save you money on gas expenses and reduce your environmental impact.

Is there a difference between city and highway gas mileage?

Yes, there is often a difference between city and highway gas mileage. City driving typically involves more stop-and-go traffic, which can decrease gas mileage. Highway driving, on the other hand, often involves more consistent speeds and can result in higher gas mileage.