Maximizing Information Storage: The Role of Entropy Bound in Modern Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of holography and how the maximum amount of information that can be stored in a region of spacetime is determined by its boundary. An analogy is made to a hypothetical company with advanced data storage technology, and the discussion also touches on the role of black holes in this concept. The speaker also mentions that there are different versions of the entropy bound and the intuitive explanation may vary depending on the version.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Recently an interested undergrad has asked me to explain holography to her. I know I'm not the best one to do that and I don't know that much, but for now, I'm the best she can have. Poor girl!
Anyway, I figured its better to start from the entropy bound and explaining that the maximum amount of information you can store in a region of spacetime, is determined by its boundary. So I came up with the following explanation. But I want to make sure its correct enough as a simplified explanation before giving it to her.

Imagine a big and advanced company that manufactures data storage devices. Now this company is so much advanced that the storage density of their devices is the maximum possible and they can claim and prove that its not possible to store information denser that this.
Now they want to make a device with such a maximum storage density but with the maximum mass of e.g. 100 grams which means a certain amount of the needed material. What shape should such a device have to ensure that they have the maximum capacity possible? Intuitively we would answer this by saying that the amount of information is equal to the product of information density and volume, so the shape should maximize the volume. But modern physics says that this is wrong and they should actually maximize the surface area.

Is this a good explanation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You got to include black holes in your explanation. Black holes supposedly possesses the highest entropy per surface area. I suppose it's not possible to build a storage device with higher entropy per surface area than a black hole because it would collapse into a black hole under its own mass.

Khashishi said:
You got to include black holes in your explanation. Black holes supposedly possesses the highest entropy per surface area. I suppose it's not possible to build a storage device with higher entropy per surface area than a black hole because it would collapse into a black hole under its own mass.

Is it correct to say, that our intuition that the volume and density determine the amount of recorded information in a region of space is only an approximation and even in our daily life, the boundaries determine the amount of storage in a region? Or is it just about black holes?

I don't think any of this has been fleshed out yet. If it has, I know nothing about it.

1. What is entropy bound?

Entropy bound is a concept in thermodynamics that refers to the maximum amount of energy that can be extracted from a system at a given temperature. It is based on the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the entropy of a closed system will either remain constant or increase over time.

2. How is entropy bound related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that the amount of energy available for work will decrease, eventually reaching a maximum point known as the entropy bound.

3. Can entropy bound be exceeded?

No, entropy bound is a fundamental limit that cannot be exceeded. This is because it is based on the laws of thermodynamics, which are considered to be universal laws of nature.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of entropy bound?

The magnitude of entropy bound is affected by the temperature of the system and the amount of energy that can be extracted from it. The higher the temperature, the greater the entropy bound will be.

5. How is entropy bound helpful in understanding energy systems?

Entropy bound is helpful in understanding energy systems because it provides a limit to the amount of energy that can be extracted from a system. This helps in designing and optimizing energy systems to ensure maximum efficiency and sustainability.