Maximizing Marine Power: Calculating Average Output of a 200km2 Tidal Barrage

In summary, The tidal barrage contains an area of of of sea of 200km2 and the tidal range 6m at spring tides and 2m at neap tides. The average power output over the year is745gw.
thebest99
A tidal barrage contains an area of of sea of 200km2 and the tidal range 6m at spring tides and 2m at neap tides.

What would be the average power output over the year?

Any help would be great,

Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by coming up with the tidal activity during a lunar cycle based on the definitions of spring and neap tides.

What I have worked out: ep=mgh

P2hgh/6x60x60

1025x2x2x9.81x2/ 6x60x60

=745gw

I get something significantly different. If you provide more detail in your reasoning and calculations (units), I could better understand how we have such different results. I can tell you that your equation for potential energy is suspect.

Firstly thanks for your help. I have 1025 as my mass. 9.81gravity. 4m difference in height. PE=mgh.

This is what we had I'm class:

1025x2x2x9.81/6x60x60

200x10 to the power of 6.

Slightly confused how they got this.

Please could you help work through

4x1025x200x10to the power6x 4x9.81x2
=64353.6x10 to the power 9 J

You need to start (and never stop) using units in your calculations. PE = mgh only applies if all the mass is at h. With a volume of water, mass is distributed along h [edit: from 0 to h]. "1025", by itself, is meaningless-- certainly not mass. 1025 kg/m3 is the density of seawater.

Last edited:
Could you show me how you work this out then please

Can't do that due to the forum's rules. You need to do the work. But anyway, let's work with what you have posted:
What I have worked out: ep=mgh
Potential energy for a column of water is not mgh. It is less than this. Water at the bottom of the container does not contribute as much as water at the top. But you are correct to look for the potential energy. Try to research this or at least think about it. After you have done that, you can look here to confirm:
PEwater_column = mgh/2
P2hgh/6x60x60
I was hoping you would say something like "to find average power, I need to find the energy collected over a specific interval and divide that energy by that time interval". Would you agree with that? If so, what specific interval are you considering (and why)? Anyway, it looks like you are trying to divide energy by time to get power (average power). But lack of units make that very unclear. I get that P is density of saltwater, but how do you get "P2hgh"? And what about "6x60x60"--why would you use 6? Again: use units.

1025x2x2x9.81x2/ 6x60x60

=745gw
Well I get 3.72 with no units, so please re-work this.

One final note: rather than banging out any more unitless expressions, why not take some time and elaborate on your method of extracting energy from the ocean. That way we can tell if your on the right track or not.

1. How is the average output of a 200km2 tidal barrage calculated?

The average output of a 200km2 tidal barrage is calculated by multiplying the area of the barrage (200km2) by the average tidal flow velocity (m/s) and the density of water (kg/m3). This will give the average power output in watts (W).

2. What factors can affect the average output of a tidal barrage?

The average output of a tidal barrage can be affected by various factors such as the size and design of the barrage, the strength and consistency of tidal currents, and the efficiency of the turbines used to convert the kinetic energy of the tides into electricity.

3. How reliable is the average output of a 200km2 tidal barrage?

The average output of a 200km2 tidal barrage can be considered reliable as it is based on theoretical calculations using known variables. However, the actual output may vary depending on the specific conditions at the location of the barrage.

4. Can the average output of a 200km2 tidal barrage be increased?

Yes, the average output of a 200km2 tidal barrage can be increased by optimizing the design and placement of the barrage, using more efficient turbines, and taking advantage of higher tidal flow velocities.

5. How does the average output of a 200km2 tidal barrage compare to other renewable energy sources?

The average output of a 200km2 tidal barrage can vary greatly depending on its location and design. However, in general, tidal barrages have the potential to generate more consistent and predictable energy compared to other renewable sources such as wind or solar power. Additionally, tidal barrages do not produce greenhouse gas emissions, making them a more environmentally friendly option.