Maximizing Power Transfer: An Analysis of Resistance and Efficiency

PhysicsTest
Homework Statement
A battery of emf E and internal resistance r is hooked up to a variable "load"
resistance, R. If you want to deliver the maximum possible power to the load, what resistance
R should you choose?
Relevant Equations
Ohms Law V = IR
1691817049496.png

I equated dP/dR to 0 and find the solution for R. Is the solution correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsTest said:
Homework Statement: A battery of emf E and internal resistance r is hooked up to a variable "load"
resistance, R. If you want to deliver the maximum possible power to the load, what resistance
R should you choose?
Relevant Equations: Ohms Law V = IR

View attachment 330425
It is clearly wrong since the final equation is dimensionally inconsistent.

Likes DaveE, MatinSAR and PhysicsTest
PhysicsTest said:
The method is correct but not the solution as @haruspex noted. Redo the algebra and, as you take the derivative, make sure that you get a dimensionally consistent equation after each step.

PhysicsTest said:
It's pretty clear that there is an error in taking the derivative,

Yes the differentiation is wrong and i get R = r. But what i do not understand is that the power delivered to resistor is called loss, that how is it useful?

PhysicsTest said:
Yes the differentiation is wrong and i get R = r. But what i do not understand is that the power delivered to resistor is called loss, that how is it useful?
The power dissipated in the internal resistance, r, is the loss; the power dissipated in R is the rate of doing useful work.
This (standard) result says that if you wish to maximise the rate of doing useful work then you have to accept suffering an equal amount of wasted work. In practice, you may settle for a lower rate of doing useful work in return for a higher efficiency.

Likes DaveE and PhysicsTest
haruspex said:
The power dissipated in the internal resistance, r, is the loss; the power dissipated in R is the rate of doing useful work.
This (standard) result says that if you wish to maximise the rate of doing useful work then you have to accept suffering an equal amount of wasted work. In practice, you may settle for a lower rate of doing useful work in return for a higher efficiency.
Yes, and in the real world, if you want to maximize the efficiency of delivering power to R, you will try to minimize r and reduce the source accordingly.

The reason this extremely common problem is given, in addition to practicing some analysis skills, is that this is a really important concept in more complex problems you will face later with high frequency circuits. I'll stop here, since it's beyond the scope of this thread, but this is the DC version of impedance matching, which is really, really, really important in high frequency circuit design.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban

1. What is power transfer and why is it important?

Power transfer is the process of efficiently transferring electrical energy from one component to another. It is important because it ensures that the energy is being used effectively and not wasted, which can lead to increased efficiency and cost savings.

2. How does resistance affect power transfer?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electrical current. The higher the resistance, the more energy is lost as heat, resulting in decreased power transfer. Therefore, minimizing resistance is crucial for maximizing power transfer.

3. What factors impact the efficiency of power transfer?

The efficiency of power transfer is affected by several factors, including the type and quality of materials used, the design and construction of the components, and the environmental conditions in which the transfer is taking place. Additionally, the amount of resistance in the circuit and the voltage and current levels also play a role in efficiency.

4. How can power transfer be maximized?

To maximize power transfer, it is important to minimize resistance by using high-quality materials and well-designed components. Additionally, maintaining proper voltage and current levels, as well as controlling environmental factors such as temperature and humidity, can also help to improve efficiency.

5. What are some real-world applications of maximizing power transfer?

Maximizing power transfer is crucial in many industries, including power generation, transportation, and electronics. For example, in power plants, efficient power transfer is necessary to minimize energy waste and keep costs low. In electric vehicles, maximizing power transfer helps to extend the range of the vehicle and improve overall performance. In electronics, efficient power transfer ensures that devices operate properly and do not overheat.