Maximizing the volume of a square Pyramid?

In summary, to find the maximum volume of a square-based pyramid cut from an 8cm by 8cm piece of paper, you can use calculus to find the maximum value of a function relating the volume to a chosen parameter, such as the length of an edge of the square base or the area of the base. This will result in a pyramid with the largest possible base area and, therefore, the greatest volume.
agv567

Homework Statement

I am given an 8cm by 8cm piece of paper. I have to cut out a square-based pyramid out of that that gives me the greatest volume.

Homework Equations

I know that the volume is V = 1/3 * b^2 * h
b = base
h = height

I know that the surface area is A = b^2 + 2bh

The Attempt at a Solution

I slightly remember optimization. I only remember you need to combine the two but that's it?

Physics news on Phys.org
agv567 said:

Homework Statement

I am given an 8cm by 8cm piece of paper. I have to cut out a square-based pyramid out of that that gives me the greatest volume.

Homework Equations

I know that the volume is V = 1/3 * b^2 * h
b = base
h = height

I know that the surface area is A = b^2 + 2bh

The Attempt at a Solution

I slightly remember optimization. I only remember you need to combine the two but that's it?
The surface area isn't involved in this solution. Of course I realize that the surface area of the pyramid can't be greater than 64 cm2.

Connect the four midpoints of the edges of the sheet of paper. Let the resulting square be the base of a pyramid. Fold the corner triangles upward & inward until the corners of the original 8×8 piece of paper meet at the apex of a pyramid. That square pyramid is one with maximum base area. You would hardly call it a pyramid at all, because its altitude is zero.

Other square pyramids will require that you use a smaller base, but will result in larger altitude. Such pyramids will have surface areas less than 64 cm2.

yeah i experimented and found out that the smaller you cut from the square, the larger the volume(aka larger base = larger volume). Larger altitudes give you smaller volumes.

How would I find out the maximum volume using calculus work though?

l

agv567 said:
yeah i experimented and found out that the smaller you cut from the square, the larger the volume(aka larger base = larger volume). Larger altitudes give you smaller volumes.

How would I find out the maximum volume using calculus work though?
Come up with a formula relating the volume to some parameter related to how much is cut out, or related to the length of an edge of the square base, or related to the area of the base, or related to ...

So the volume will be a function of whatever parameter you choose.

Then use calculus to find the maximum value of that function.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a square pyramid?

The formula for calculating the volume of a square pyramid is V = (1/3) * b^2 * h, where b is the length of the base and h is the height of the pyramid.

How do you maximize the volume of a square pyramid?

To maximize the volume of a square pyramid, you need to find the dimensions that will result in the largest possible volume. This can be done by using the formula V = (1/3) * b^2 * h and finding the values of b and h that will give the largest result.

What are the units for measuring the volume of a square pyramid?

The units for measuring the volume of a square pyramid are cubic units, such as cubic centimeters (cm^3) or cubic meters (m^3).

Can the volume of a square pyramid be negative?

No, the volume of a square pyramid cannot be negative. It is a measure of the amount of space inside the pyramid, and space cannot have a negative value.

What are some real-life applications of maximizing the volume of a square pyramid?

Maximizing the volume of a square pyramid is important in architecture and engineering, as it can help determine the optimal dimensions for structures such as buildings, bridges, and tunnels. It can also be applied in manufacturing and packaging industries to maximize the amount of product that can fit in a given space.