What am I doing wrong in finding the volume of a square based pyramid

In summary: Oh, never mind, I found it. The integral for the volume would be: integral[(756/481)(481-x)]^2 dx which would be the same as integral[(length/height)(height - xcoordinate)]^2 dxIn summary, the author is trying to find the volume of a square based pyramid which one side of its base is 756ft. Its height is 481ft and the material density is 150lb/ft^3. He is using calculus to reach the answer. The book gives an example which basically answers the whole exercise and the internet too, but the author does not really get it. He tries to sum the area of the squares as they approach infinite from 0 to
Psinter
1. I need to find the volume of a square based pyramid which one side of its base is 756ft. Its height is 481ft and the material density is 150lb/ft^3It has to be using calculus.

2. Homework Equations : I know that the formula would be 1/3*(b^2*h), but I need to use calculus to reach that formula. Basically a proof.

3. The Attempt at a Solution : The book gives me an example which basically answers me the whole exercise and the internet too, but I don't really get it. Look at this page and its explanation on example 2: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/MoreVolume.aspx What I tried to do, because it seems logical, is sum the area of the squares as they approach infinite from 0 to its height (481ft).

I don't really get it, shouldn't I just divide the pyramid in infinite squares and sum their areas to obtain the pyramid volume? Also I don't get the 2D drawing; is the length of s 2 times one side of the square?

Physics news on Phys.org
Psinter said:
The book gives me an example which basically answers me the whole exercise and the internet too, but I don't really get it. Look at this page and its explanation on example 2: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/MoreVolume.aspx What I tried to do, because it seems logical, is sum the area of the squares as they approach infinite from 0 to its height (481ft).

I don't really get it, shouldn't I just divide the pyramid in infinite squares and sum their areas to obtain the pyramid volume? Also I don't get the 2D drawing; is the length of s 2 times one side of the square?

No, s is just the length of the side of the square, not two times it. If you can show is how you set up the integral, we can tell you what you're doing wrong.

Oh, never mind, I found it. The integral for the volume would be: integral[(756/481)(481-x)]^2 dx which would be the same as integral[(length/height)(height - x)]^2 dx

I'm checking right now how I concluded that because I have about 5 papers full of numbers and rubbish calculations. Hehe.

EDIT: Found the whole process. What happens is that as we go up to the top, the size of the square changes and so does its area. To calculate the size of the square at a specific point we do:

height/length = (height - xcoordinate)/newsquarelength

and we solve for newsquarelength:

newsquarelength = (length/height)(height - xcoordinate)

where:
length/height = ratio of the triangle; the length is the same as saying the base of the triangle.

height - x = location of the new square

Since the area of a square is its side elevated the power of 2, we just have to elevate newsquarelength to the power of 2 in our integral:

integral[(height/length)(height - xcoordinate)]^2

In my case, this would become:

integral[(756/481)(481 - x)]^2 dx From 0 to 481

And this would be the volume of the pyramid. :biggrin:

eumyang said:
No, s is just the length of the side of the square, not two times it. If you can show is how you set up the integral, we can tell you what you're doing wrong.

Thanks for making that clear, I was trying to visualize how they drew that triangle and thought that they expanded into a single plane 2 triangles of the pyramid and that's why I thought that it was 2 times the side of the square, but now I know its not like that.

Last edited:

1. How do I find the volume of a square based pyramid?

To find the volume of a square based pyramid, you need to multiply the area of the base (length x width) by the height of the pyramid and divide by 3. The formula for volume is V = (1/3) x (length x width) x height.

2. What is the base of a square based pyramid?

The base of a square based pyramid is a square, meaning that all sides are equal in length. The base is the bottom face of the pyramid and is usually used to calculate the area of the base.

3. Why do I need to divide by 3 when calculating the volume of a square based pyramid?

The division by 3 is necessary because the volume of a pyramid is equal to one-third of the volume of a prism with the same base and height. This is a geometric property that applies to all pyramids, including square based pyramids.

4. Can I use any units to measure the length, width, and height when finding the volume of a square based pyramid?

Yes, you can use any consistent units to measure the length, width, and height of a square based pyramid. However, make sure that all units are the same and to include the units in your final answer for volume.

5. How accurate do my measurements need to be when calculating the volume of a square based pyramid?

The accuracy of your measurements depends on the level of precision required for your specific application. In general, it is best to use measurements that are as accurate as possible to get a more precise volume calculation. However, for most practical purposes, a reasonable level of accuracy is sufficient.