Maximum Latitude Difference for Equal Centripetal and Gravitational Acceleration

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, the maximum latitude difference for equal centripetal and gravitational acceleration is a concept that determines the limit at which these two forces are balanced. This is important in understanding the effects of Earth's rotation on objects located at different latitudes. The maximum difference occurs at the equator, where the acceleration due to gravity is at its highest and the acceleration due to Earth's rotation is at its lowest. As the latitude increases or decreases from the equator, the difference between these two forces decreases until they become equal at the poles. This concept is crucial in fields such as geodesy and navigation.
Loren Booda
In either the northern or southern hemisphere, what is the maximum difference in latitude between two places measuring the same total centripetal and gravitational accelerations?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
... it depends on your accuracy/sensitivity. No two different latitudes on one hemisphere have the exact same values.

I thought a standard weight measured over the Earth's surface would vary continuously.

Gravity is also a function of geology, elevation, and time (due to the movement of celestial bodies).

I don't know the answer but I am curious ... Why do you ask the question?

Loren Booda said:
I thought a standard weight measured over the Earth's surface would vary continuously.
For the most part yes, absolutely. The correction due to the centripetal force is pretty simple, and for any given model of oblate-ness, you can correct for that. Most likely variations due to geology (etc) would be entirely negligible, but again, it depends on your situation and sensitivities.

Actually, depending on the particular nature of the obliquity, it is possible that at different latitudes your weight would be the same (finding different balances between centripetal force and variations due to radius and asymmetry)---but it would depend on the particular models.

billiards said:
I don't know the answer but I am curious ... Why do you ask the question?
I find it aesthetically intriguing how two most widely separated points would have the same magnitude of acceleration as mapped on the Earth's surface.

Hmm at this point maybe a reference to http://www.csr.utexas.edu/grace/science/ would help?

[URL]http://www.csr.utexas.edu/grace/gallery/animations/ggm01/ggm01-200.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maximum Latitude Difference for Equal Centripetal and Gravitational Acceleration

What is the maximum latitude difference for equal centripetal and gravitational acceleration?

The maximum latitude difference for equal centripetal and gravitational acceleration is when the magnitude of centripetal acceleration due to the Earth's rotation is equal to the gravitational acceleration. This occurs at the poles, where the latitude is 90 degrees.

Why is the maximum latitude difference important?

The maximum latitude difference is important for understanding the effects of the Earth's rotation on objects at different latitudes. It also helps to explain phenomena such as the Coriolis effect.

How is the maximum latitude difference calculated?

The maximum latitude difference can be calculated using the formula: tan(latitude) = (ω^2 * R)/g, where ω is the angular velocity of the Earth's rotation, R is the radius of the Earth, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

Does the maximum latitude difference change with different factors?

Yes, the maximum latitude difference can change with different factors such as the mass and radius of the Earth, as well as the latitude at which it is measured. It also changes with the rotation rate of the Earth, which can vary due to factors such as tides and changes in the Earth's core.

How does the maximum latitude difference affect objects on Earth?

The maximum latitude difference has a significant impact on objects on Earth, as it affects the direction and strength of the Coriolis force. This force can influence the movement of large-scale weather patterns and ocean currents. It also affects the trajectory of objects launched from the Earth's surface.