Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the maximum positive coordinate reached by a particle and the maximum positive velocity occur when the velocity and acceleration are zero, respectively. This is due to the fact that at these points, the tangent line of the function is horizontal, indicating a maximum or minimum value. This applies to any function, regardless of the event or scenario being observed.
Satonam
Missing template due to originally being posted in different forum.
The problem gives you a function describing the position of a particle moving along an x axis:
x(t) = 12t2 - 2t3

With this function, one must determine the maximum positive coordinate reached by a particle and the maximum positive velocity. The first step to the problem is to take the derivative of the original function to obtain
v(t) = 24t - 6t2

And then again to obtain
a(t) = 24 - 12t

Where x is position, t is time, v is velocity and a is acceleration.

According to the solution manual for this specific problem, maximum positive coordinate reached by the particle requires v = 0, by which we then solve for t which turns out to be t = 4s. We then plug in the value for t in the original function x(t) and yield xmax = 64m. Finding maximum positive velocity is similar, whereas
a = 0.

What I don't understand is why the maximum positive coordinate for x is at v = 0, likewise for maximum velocity at a = 0.

I understand, mathematically, that this has to do with finding the min and max of a function by finding its critical points. In the function x(t) the term -2t3 is growing faster than 12t2, therefore, eventually, x(t) will become negative.

Graphically.
At t = 0 a particle following this path is x = 0, v = 0 and a = 24.
The particle ascends gradually in the x(t) graph.
At t = 2, a = 0 so v must be constant (v = 24) and x is midway between its starting point and its highest point. In a v(t) graph, this point is the peak (vertex) of a downwards parabola. At this same point, the down-sloping line of an a(t) graph intercepts with the t-axis.
At t = 4, x(t) reaches the peak of its trajectory. v = 0 so the v(t) graph intercepts the t-axis and a = -24 (shouldn't a = 0 if v = 0?)
At t = 6, the particle reaches the ground so x = 0 and -just before landing- v = -72, and a = -48

Of course, we are ignoring factors light the drag force caused by air. When the projectile is in the air, the only force acting upon it is g and so its velocity gradually decreases until it reaches its highest point; therefore, with classical physics, we can conclude that the maximum position of a particle in this trajectory is at v = 0 because at this point, the projectile begins to descend back towards the ground...

Actually, in the process of writing this I just realized that I interpreted this the wrong way. I'm assuming the particle is a projectile (the shape of the graph confused me as it rises and falls, which gave me said impression), however it is moving on the x axis; than again, this may be fixed by substituting x for y. It is then that I must pose the question, what if the particle is actually a marble rolling on a surface? Then, instead of considering gravity, we must consider friction, correct? With that said, friction would not explain why the marble accelerates in the opposite direction. In that case, going back to gravity and ignoring friction, we must assume that the marble is actually rolling up a hill and then back down.

To be honest, at this point, I question whether I'm just spouting gibberish. I'm sorry if my ideas seem to be all over the place, I'm trying to portray my thought process in an orderly manner.

Moving on, I think I've convinced myself why x has reached its highest point at v = 0 whether it represents a vertical or horizontal path. But what if the function x(t) is not describing motion, but is actually a marketing formula where x is a product and t is the price? In this case, we ask ourselves what price yields maximum product sold? I'm sorry, I don't know much about marketing so this entire set up might not make sense. Perhaps my error is trying to adjust this formula to other hypothetical scenarios where it might apply?

I guess, to make my question less ambiguous, is x maximized at v = 0 regardless of the function or the event under observation? This idea sounds wrong just saying it, I think, but my ideas are so convoluted that I can't think straight anymore. Again, sorry for this mess. I might be asking the wrong question to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
"v" changes sign at its max/min.

Satonam said:
I guess, to make my question less ambiguous, is x maximized at v = 0 regardless of the function or the event under observation? This idea sounds wrong just saying it, I think, but my ideas are so convoluted that I can't think straight anymore. Again, sorry for this mess. I might be asking the wrong question to begin with.
You get the critical points of a function F(t) where the derivatives dF/dt are zero. You can visualize it as the the tangent to the function. The tangent line is horizontal at the maximum and at the minimum of the function.
The velocity is defined as time derivative of displacement, v=dx/dt. The acceleration is defined as a the time derivative of the velocity, a=dv/dt. The acceleration is zero at the critical point(s) of the v(t) function, and the velocity is zero at the critical point(s) of the x(t) function.

1. What is the Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle?

The Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle refers to the furthest point in the positive direction that a particle can reach in a given system. This can be in terms of distance, position, or any other measurement that is relevant to the system being studied.

2. How is the Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle calculated?

The calculation of the Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle depends on the variables and equations involved in the system being studied. Generally, it involves solving equations of motion and considering factors such as initial conditions, forces acting on the particle, and the constraints of the system.

3. What factors can affect the Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle?

Several factors can affect the Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle, such as initial conditions, external forces acting on the particle, and the properties of the system, such as friction or constraints. Additionally, the behavior of the particle itself, such as its velocity and acceleration, can also impact the maximum positive coordinate it can reach.

4. Can the Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle be negative?

No, the Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle is always a positive value since it refers to the furthest point that the particle can reach in the positive direction. However, the particle may have a negative displacement from its initial position, but this does not change the fact that its maximum positive coordinate is still a positive value.

5. How is the concept of Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle used in real-world applications?

The concept of Maximum Positive Coordinate Reached by a Particle is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and robotics. It is essential in predicting the behavior of a particle in a given system and designing systems that can achieve a desired maximum positive coordinate. It is also relevant in understanding and analyzing the motion of objects in the real world, such as projectiles and vehicles.