Maximum speed of overdamped oscillator without crossing origin

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum initial speed of an overdamped oscillator with known natural frequency and damping coefficient, starting at a given position. The equation for x(t) is given, but the maximum speed and initial coefficients must be determined. The maximum value of x(t) at t=infinity is 0, but it is unknown if the oscillator crosses the origin. The initial speed and coefficients can be found using the given information.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

An overdamped oscillator with natural frequency w and damping coefficient g starts out at postion x0 > 0. What is the maximum initial speed towards the origin it can have without crossing the origin?

Homework Equations

x(t) for overdamped oscillator

The Attempt at a Solution

x(t) for a general overdamped oscillator has been solved already. However if I only know x0 > 0 and nothing else, how do I go about determining the maximum speed. I can't see how this problem will workout and I can't get it started. Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MeMoses! :smile:
MeMoses said:
x(t) for a general overdamped oscillator has been solved already. However if I only know x0 > 0 and nothing else, how do I go about determining the maximum speed. I can't see how this problem will workout and I can't get it started.

Just find the answer as a function of xo :wink:

Edit: My idea made no sense. So how do find this maximum v0?

Last edited:
MeMoses said:
Edit: My idea made no sense. So how do find this maximum v0?

what is your x(t) equation?

I get x(t) = Ae**((-g-z)t) + Be(-(g-z)t) with z=sqrt(g**2 - w**2). At t=0 I get x0 = A + B

Last edited:
Hi MeMoses! :wink:
MeMoses said:
I get x(t) = Ae**((-g-z)t) + Be(-(g-z)t) with z=sqrt(g**2 - w**2). At t=0 I get x0 = A + B

(hmm … I'm not sure how that's supposed to be read :confused: … but anyway …)

So what is the maximum value of x(t) (presumably at t = ∞) ?

And what is the intitial speed? :smile:

Sorry i type that from my phone. The lim x(t) as t approaches infinity is 0, it will always go to 0 eventually but how do I know if it crosses the origin or not and how can I find the initial speed using what you told me? Edit: also how can I solve the coefficients?

Last edited:

Related to Maximum speed of overdamped oscillator without crossing origin

1. What is an overdamped oscillator?

An overdamped oscillator is a type of system that experiences damping, or resistance, that is greater than the critical damping value. This means that the system will return to its equilibrium position without oscillating or crossing the origin.

2. How is the maximum speed of an overdamped oscillator determined?

The maximum speed of an overdamped oscillator is determined by the damping coefficient and the initial conditions of the system. It can be calculated using the equation v_max = v_0 * e^(-b/m * t), where v_max is the maximum speed, v_0 is the initial velocity, b is the damping coefficient, and m is the mass of the oscillator.

3. Can an overdamped oscillator exceed its maximum speed without crossing the origin?

No, an overdamped oscillator cannot exceed its maximum speed without crossing the origin. This is because the damping force always acts in the direction opposite to the motion of the oscillator, preventing it from gaining any additional speed.

4. How does the maximum speed of an overdamped oscillator change with different damping coefficients?

The maximum speed of an overdamped oscillator decreases as the damping coefficient increases. This is because a larger damping coefficient means a stronger damping force, which limits the speed of the oscillator.

5. What happens to the maximum speed of an overdamped oscillator as time goes to infinity?

As time goes to infinity, the maximum speed of an overdamped oscillator approaches 0. This is because the damping force continuously decreases the speed of the oscillator until it eventually comes to a complete stop at its equilibrium position.