Maximum theoretical power from piezoelectric harvesting

In summary, piezoelectric harvesting is a method of generating electrical power from mechanical energy through the use of piezoelectric materials. These materials are able to convert mechanical stress or vibration into an electric charge, making them ideal for harvesting energy from sources such as footsteps, vehicle movement, or even ocean waves. The maximum theoretical power that can be generated through piezoelectric harvesting depends on various factors such as the type of material used, its size and shape, and the frequency and amplitude of the mechanical energy source. While there are certain limitations and practical considerations that may affect the actual power output, piezoelectric harvesting has the potential to provide a sustainable and renewable source of energy.
juanitopapito
Hi there...
I have an application where I know the vibration frequency/force/acceleration of the source...

How can I find the maximum theoretical power output (in mw/watts...) of a tuned piezo where its resonance is the same as the source vibration frequency...

Engineering news on Phys.org
juanitopapito said:
Hi there...
I have an application where I know the vibration frequency/force/acceleration of the source...

How can I find the maximum theoretical power output (in mw/watts...) of a tuned piezo where its resonance is the same as the source vibration frequency...
Welcome to the PF.

Just try looking at typical piezo datasheets for parts that fit your application.

What are the frequency and amplitude of your application?

berkeman said:
What are the frequency and amplitude of your application?

Consistent 200 hz...

Typically 0.1 G acceleration on a 1 kg object (so 20 G on say a 5 gram harvester...)...sometimes it is 1 G on the 1 kg, but rarely..

Is there any way I can get 1 W+ of energy from it using a piezo or other vibration harvester? especially on the low end so it is consistent... Does not have to be a commercially available product, even experimental things that are out there...

juanitopapito said:
Is there any way I can get 1 W+ of energy from it using a piezo or other vibration harvester?

again, as Berkeman said, without knowing the properties of the sensor, the answer to that is unknownDave

davenn said:
again, as Berkeman said, without knowing the properties of the sensor, the answer to that is unknownDave

what else is necessary?...

juanitopapito said:

davenn said:
without knowing the properties of the sensor, the answer to that is unknown

you can't seem to give those, so you question is still unanswerableD

juanitopapito said:
How are you going to couple the piezo to the object(s)? Can you get a straight compression-expansion motion on the piezo? Or will it be more of a bending moment?

What piezo do you plan on using? Can you link to the datasheet? Have you looked at Kynar Piezo Film?

http://www.piezotech.fr/fr/2-products-piezoelectric-polymers/news/news-31-p-vdf-trfe-piezoelectric-films.html

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
How are you going to couple the piezo to the object(s)? Can you get a straight compression-expansion motion on the piezo? Or will it be more of a bending moment?

What piezo do you plan on using? Can you link to the datasheet? Have you looked at Kynar Piezo Film?

http://www.piezotech.fr/fr/2-products-piezoelectric-polymers/news/news-31-p-vdf-trfe-piezoelectric-films.html

I'm looking at piezos...I plan to use a cantilever (probably)...

How can I tell how much force it would take on each piezo to generate a watt...and what about the frequency...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppose you have a predefined volume of piezoelectric (10cm^3). What is the maximum harvested power using piezoelectric?

Si14 said:
Suppose you have a predefined volume of piezoelectric (10cm^3). What is the maximum harvested power using piezoelectric?
What reading have you done on this so far? What shape would be the best for harvesting, given that volume? :smile:

juanitopapito said:
I'm looking at piezos...I plan to use a cantilever (probably)...

How can I tell how much force it would take on each piezo to generate a watt...and what about the frequency...?

You need to know the output resistance of the piezo sensor and you also need to know how much voltage it generates at that frequency for a given force input. Here is an example of the chart you need for whichever accelerometer you have:

accelerometer_sensitivity.png

Here is more information on accelerometer selection. http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3807/en/ If your goal is to generate power, I'd pick one that resonates at 200hz or whatever frequency the input from the machine will be.

When you know the voltage output per-G of acceleration at a given frequency, and you also know the output resistance, you can then calculate wattage.

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Wattage

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-1_10-11-11.gif
    upload_2017-5-1_10-11-11.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 480

What is piezoelectric harvesting?

Piezoelectric harvesting is the process of converting mechanical energy, such as vibrations or pressure, into electrical energy using piezoelectric materials.

How does piezoelectric harvesting work?

Piezoelectric materials have a special property where they can generate an electric charge when mechanically stressed. When these materials are exposed to vibrations or pressure, they undergo deformation and produce an electric charge. This charge can then be harnessed and used as a source of electrical power.

What is the maximum theoretical power that can be generated from piezoelectric harvesting?

The maximum theoretical power that can be generated from piezoelectric harvesting depends on various factors such as the material's piezoelectric coefficient, the amount of stress applied, and the frequency of the vibrations. However, it is generally limited by the amount of mechanical energy that can be converted into electrical energy.

What are some real-world applications of piezoelectric harvesting?

Piezoelectric harvesting has been used in various applications, such as powering small electronic devices like watches and sensors, as well as in large-scale energy harvesting systems for powering buildings and even entire cities. It can also be used in wearable technology, such as smart clothing, to generate power from the wearer's movements.

What are the advantages of using piezoelectric harvesting compared to other forms of energy harvesting?

Piezoelectric harvesting has several advantages over other forms of energy harvesting, including its ability to generate power from a wide range of mechanical inputs, its small size and flexibility, and its ability to produce electricity without the need for fuel or external power sources. It is also a clean and renewable source of energy, making it a sustainable option for powering electronic devices and reducing our reliance on traditional energy sources.