Maxwell's Relations Derivative P,V,T,Cp,Cv

In summary, to express (dA/dV)p in terms of P, V, T, Cp, Cv and their derivatives, we can use Maxwell's equations and the product and chain/expansion rules. This leads to the equation (dA/dV)p = -S(dT/dV)p - P, where S is a coefficient of the derivative. However, using T=VP/R, we cannot eliminate S. To further simplify, we can use Cp and Cv, but the method is not clear at this point. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
GZunich

Homework Statement

Express (dA/dV)p in terms of P,V,T,Cp,Cv and their derivatives. Your answer may include
absolute values of S if it is not a derivative constraint or within a derivitive

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations
Product Rule
Chain&Expansion rule

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the maxwell's relations
(dA/dV)p= -S(dT/dV)p -P(dV/dV)p
= -S(dT/dV)p -P
This is where I am stuck. Because S is a coefficient of the derivative can you turn
(dT/dV)p to P/R where T=VP/R. S is calculated from measurable properties so I believe this doesn't work
If this works than (dA/dV)p simply equals -SP/R -P. I believe you need to get rid of S but I don't know how at this point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it has to do with Cp and Cv but I'm not sure how to use them.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. What are Maxwell's relations?

Maxwell's relations are a set of equations derived from the laws of thermodynamics that relate various thermodynamic properties, such as pressure, volume, temperature, and heat capacity, to each other. They are useful for solving thermodynamic problems and understanding the relationships between different properties.

2. What is the Maxwell's relation for the derivative of pressure with respect to volume?

The Maxwell's relation for the derivative of pressure with respect to volume is given by the equation: (∂P/∂V)T,S = (∂²U/∂V∂S)T,V. This relates the change in pressure with a change in volume at constant temperature and entropy to the second derivative of internal energy with respect to volume and entropy at constant temperature and volume.

3. How do Maxwell's relations help in solving thermodynamic problems?

Maxwell's relations provide a set of equations that relate different thermodynamic properties, making it easier to solve complex thermodynamic problems. They also help in understanding the relationships between properties and can be used to derive other useful equations.

4. What is the significance of Maxwell's relations for specific heat capacities?

Maxwell's relations can be used to derive equations that relate the specific heat capacities at constant pressure and volume. These equations, known as the Maxwell-Clausius equations, are useful for calculating the change in temperature or heat transfer in a system when the volume or pressure is changed.

5. Can Maxwell's relations be applied to all thermodynamic systems?

Yes, Maxwell's relations are applicable to all thermodynamic systems, as long as the system is in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. They are derived from the fundamental laws of thermodynamics and are valid for all systems, including ideal and non-ideal gases, liquids, and solids.