Mean voltage and current, rectifiers

In summary: Rectifiers are important in power systems because they convert AC to DC. In a controlled rectifier circuit, the diode is reverse biased, allowing only half the current to flow through it compared to an uncontrolled rectifier. The controlled rectifier is also usually more efficient because it allows the voltage to rise more slowly.
Keev

Homework Statement

Devise the mean voltage and current in controlled and uncontrolled single device rectifier circuits with R-L series loads.
Single circuit series circuit given of an AC voltage source, a uncontrolled diode, resistor, inductor.
V = 240 v, F = 50 Hz, R = 10 ohms, L = 50 mH

Homework Equations

Not given

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Vs = Vmaxsin(wt) , I know that in a series circuit current is the same throughout, but this is AC, do the same rules apply?
I also know that Vav for half wave rectifier = Vpeak/pi. I found this from the fact that Vav for a full wave = 2Vpeak/pi. But is this the same for an R-L load?
I don't know where to start in terms of the mean current.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keev said:
Devise the mean voltage and current in controlled and uncontrolled single device rectifier circuits with R-L series loads.
I assume this is the theme of what you're doing and this:
Keev said:
Single circuit series circuit given of an AC voltage source, a uncontrolled diode, resistor, inductor.
V = 240 v, F = 50 Hz, R = 10 ohms, L = 50 mH
is the specific assignment? I can guess the configuration, but you should include a schematic that shows the voltages and currents you're interested in.

Keev said:
... I know that in a series circuit current is the same throughout, but this is AC, do the same rules apply?
The instantaneous current is the same for series-connected elements.

Keev said:
I also know that Vav for half wave rectifier = Vpeak/pi.
If Vav is the average voltage applied to the load, then that's only true if the load is purely resistive.

Keev said:
I don't know where to start in terms of the mean current.
You can start from scratch and set up the governing differential equation for the instantaneous current when the diode is conducting, solve it analytically, and find its mean over the conduction period.

You can use the fact that the average voltage across the inductor, in steady state, must be zero to give you the average load voltage.

Usually, though, you just do this once and substitute in specific component values. Wasn't that part of your course?

Likes Keev
milesyoung said:
You can start from scratch and set up the governing differential equation for the instantaneous current when the diode is conducting, solve it analytically, and find its mean over the conduction period.

You can use the fact that the average voltage across the inductor, in steady state, must be zero to give you the average load voltage.

Usually, though, you just do this once and substitute in specific component values. Wasn't that part of your course?

It is part of my course but extremely poorly taught, along with a useless reading list. And that is why I have no idea how to do it. I was wondering if you know of any links or books helping to explain rectifiers? I've read through electrical machines, drives and power systems by Theodore Wildi and John Bird's electrical circuit theory and technology but neither has helped with my knowledge in regards to rectifier circuits.

And it's not really an assignment or homework for that matter, but I was told to post it in this part of the forums. The question is more for my personal revision rather than homework.

Keev said:
I was wondering if you know of any links or books helping to explain rectifiers?
With regards to your problem statement, have you tried doing a search on Google for something like 'half-wave rectifier RL load'? I see plenty of useful information.

Take, for instance, this book excerpt.

1. What is the difference between mean voltage and mean current?

Mean voltage refers to the average voltage over a given period of time, while mean current refers to the average current over the same period of time. Voltage is measured in volts, while current is measured in amperes (amps).

2. How are mean voltage and mean current calculated?

Mean voltage and current are calculated by taking the integral of the voltage or current over a specific period of time and dividing it by the total time. This gives the average value of the voltage or current.

3. What are rectifiers and how do they work?

Rectifiers are electronic devices that convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). They work by using diodes to block the negative portion of the AC wave, leaving only the positive portion as DC.

4. What is the purpose of using rectifiers?

Rectifiers are used to convert AC to DC for many electronic devices that require a steady source of DC power. This includes devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones.

5. Are there different types of rectifiers?

Yes, there are several types of rectifiers, including half-wave rectifiers, full-wave rectifiers, and bridge rectifiers. Each type has its own advantages and applications, but they all serve the same purpose of converting AC to DC.