Calculating current and voltage of a rectifier circuit

In summary, the problem involves a step-down transformer with a turns ratio of 10:1 and input of 230V and 50Hz. The transformer is used in a half-wave rectifier with a diode forward resistance of 15 ohms and a secondary winding resistance of 10 ohms. The question asks for the average and RMS values of load current and voltage for a 4 kilo ohm load. After attempting to solve the problem, it was determined that the incorrect values were due to not considering the diode's alternating resistance and not using a clear diagram. The correct approach is to model the circuit as an ideal transformer with the given secondary resistance and use a voltage divider to calculate the half-rectified output voltage
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question is :
"A step down transformer having turns ratio 10:1 and input 230 V,50 Hz is used in a half wave rectifier. The diode forward resistance is 15 ohms and resistance of secondary winding is 10 ohms . For a load resistance of 4 kilo ohms, calculate the average and R.M.S values of load current and voltage".

Homework Equations

$$I_{R.M.S}=I_{MAX}/2$$
$$I_{avg}=I_{MAX}/pi$$---(For a half-wave rectifier)
$$I_{R.M.S}=V_{R.M.S}/R_{Total}$$
$$E_{s,R.M.S}/E_{p,R.M.S}=N_2/N_1$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So, using the ##4^{th}## equation :
##E_{s,R.M.S}/230=1/10##
So,
$$E_{s,R.M.S}=23 V$$
Because of which,
$$ I_{R.M.S}=23/(4025) A$$
So , ##I_{R.M.S}=5.71 mA##
But even looking at the answer at this point of time , I realized that both of these answers were wrong.
The given value of ##E_{R.M.S}=16.1624 V## and ##I_{R.M.S}=4.0406 mA ##
so, where am I wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The diode forward resistance is 15 ohms half the time and infinite resistance half the time, so the load RMS voltage is half your value.

mooncrater said:
so, where am I wrong ?
The first place where you went wrong is to be attempting this problem without first sketching a large, clear diagram of the waveforms under investigation. A diagram is an essential aid to electronics problems.

Also, remember that a mains voltage of 230V is a sinusoid of peak value (i.e., max) 2302 V

Likes mooncrater
mooncrater said:

Homework Statement

The question is :
"A step down transformer having turns ratio 10:1 and input 230 V,50 Hz is used in a half wave rectifier. The diode forward resistance is 15 ohms and resistance of secondary winding is 10 ohms . For a load resistance of 4 kilo ohms, calculate the average and R.M.S values of load current and voltage".
Model the circuit as an ideal transformer but with the given secondary resistance. I guess primary resistance is assumed zero which is unrealistic but then so are most textbook problems.

So form a voltage divider between the transformer secondary resistance, the diode resistance and the 4K load. The compute the half-rectified output voltage and current.

Most of the equations you cite look of questionable relevance. Try to work from math principles instead.

Likes mooncrater

1. How do I calculate the current in a rectifier circuit?

To calculate the current in a rectifier circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In a rectifier circuit, the resistance can be measured by the load connected to the circuit. Once you have the voltage and resistance values, simply divide the voltage by the resistance to calculate the current.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of electrical current that constantly changes direction, while DC (direct current) is a type of electrical current that flows in one direction. In a rectifier circuit, AC current is converted to DC current, which is more suitable for most electronic devices.

3. How do I calculate the voltage in a rectifier circuit?

To calculate the voltage in a rectifier circuit, you will need to use the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. If you know the current and resistance values, you can simply multiply them to find the voltage.

4. What is a rectifier circuit used for?

A rectifier circuit is used to convert AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current). This is necessary for electronic devices that require a steady flow of current in one direction, such as smartphones, laptops, and other household appliances.

5. What are the different types of rectifier circuits?

There are three main types of rectifier circuits: half-wave rectifier, full-wave rectifier, and bridge rectifier. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, but they all serve the same purpose of converting AC to DC current.