Measure Planck's constant without universal constants

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of universal constants, specifically the speed of light and Planck's constant, in solving a problem related to measuring the kinetic energy of electrons in an experiment. The conversation also mentions the recent redefinition of the international system of units through natural constants.
Heisenberg_white
Homework Statement
Suggest a method to measure h (Planck's constant) without using the value of any other universal constant.
Relevant Equations
h = 6.626e-34
I am not getting any ideas to solve this without the universal constants. The method that I want to use invloves the speed of light, which is a universal constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot for replying!
In the experiment, we used LEDs emitting different colors & found out their barrier potentials, from which we calculated the Planck's constant. Energy, E = eV = hν ( where, e - energy of an electron; V - barrier potential). from this we get V = hc/eλ. and in turn, h = eVλ/c.
But anyway, none of this is related to the question that I have asked. My question was asked as a supplementary question by my professor. This is just to tell you how the experiment was conducted.

Thank you again! :)

Likes Charles Link
Is this question asked in the context of the "new SI", i.e., the redefinition of the international system of units through natural constants. Then the answer is in the following Physics Today article:

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/PT.3.4472

Of course you cannot measure ##h## in the described (gedanken) experiment without referring to ##\nu_{\text{Cs}}## (defining the second) and ##c## (defining, together with the second, the metre). All units are interconnected, starting with ##\nu_{\text{Cs}}## to define the second.

Likes Heisenberg_white and Charles Link

1. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted as h, is a fundamental physical constant that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It is a crucial constant in quantum mechanics and is used to determine the energy levels of particles.

2. Why is it important to measure Planck's constant without universal constants?

Measuring Planck's constant without universal constants allows for a more direct and accurate determination of the value. It eliminates the need for other constants, which may have their own uncertainties, and provides a more precise value for Planck's constant.

3. How can Planck's constant be measured without universal constants?

One method is to use the photoelectric effect, where the energy of a photon is measured and used to calculate Planck's constant. Another method is to use the Compton effect, where the wavelength of a photon is measured and used to determine Planck's constant.

4. What are the challenges in measuring Planck's constant without universal constants?

The main challenge is in the precision and accuracy of the measurements. Both the photoelectric and Compton effects require very precise and sensitive instruments. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and noise can affect the measurements and introduce uncertainties.

5. What are the applications of measuring Planck's constant without universal constants?

Measuring Planck's constant without universal constants is important in fields such as quantum mechanics, semiconductor technology, and precision measurements. It also allows for a more accurate determination of other fundamental constants, such as the speed of light and the charge of an electron.