Measurement of irradiance of 2 beam interference

In summary, the conversation revolved around measuring the amplitude of irradiance from an experiment using a power meter and a CMOS camera. The suggested method was to calibrate the CMOS sensor against the power meter and create a lookup table to convert camera values to relative illuminance. The person was able to find a solution using this method and mentioned that digital cameras can be useful for lab equipment. They also asked if the calibration curve was near a straight line and if the camera was set to manual mode.
ppoonamk
Hi,

I have an experiment set up to get two beam interference fringes. I would like to know how I could measure the actual amplitude of the irradiance from the experiment. I have with me a power meter and a CMOS camera. How can I go about this? Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
Your Camera Sensor will provide you with RGB values for each pixel. The response of the camera may not be linear - there may be a 'gamma' involved in the processing. If your power meter measures incident optical power, you could calibrate the CMOS sensor against it, to linearise the light / pixel value law. You would adjust the light level (neutral filter or iris) to vary the irradiance in a linear fashion with the power meter and look at the RGB (Y) values from the sensor. Of course, you would need to use a manual setting for the camera exposure and find a suitable range of values so that you get the 1 -256 values. A bit fiddly but quite doable with care, imo. You can then make a lookup table to convert camera values to relative illuminance.

Likes ppoonamk
Hi,

Thank you for your idea. I made a lookup table to convert it to power readings and found the average calibration factor for a specific exposure time. Thank you so much for the help

I'm pleased that it's helped you with a solution. Digital cameras can be a brilliant 'free' piece of lab equipment.
BTY, is your calibration curve near a straight line? Are you sure you are set to Manual - cameras can be too damned smart sometimes?

for your question.

To measure the irradiance of 2 beam interference, you will need to use both the power meter and the CMOS camera. The power meter will measure the total power of the two beams, while the CMOS camera will capture an image of the interference pattern.

To get an accurate measurement of the irradiance, you will need to first calibrate the power meter by measuring the power of a single beam. This will give you a baseline value to compare to when measuring the total power of the two beams.

Next, use the CMOS camera to capture an image of the interference pattern. This will allow you to visually see the fringes and determine the relative amplitude of the interference pattern. You can then use the calibrated power meter to measure the total power of the two beams. By dividing the total power by the number of fringes in the image, you can calculate the average irradiance of the interference pattern.

It is important to note that the accuracy of your measurement will depend on the quality of your setup and the sensitivity of your equipment. Make sure to carefully calibrate and double check your measurements to ensure accurate results.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

1. What is irradiance and why is it important in 2 beam interference?

Irradiance is the amount of radiant energy per unit area, typically measured in watts per square meter. In 2 beam interference, it is important because it helps to determine the intensity of the interference pattern created by two overlapping beams of light.

2. How is irradiance measured in 2 beam interference?

Irradiance can be measured using a photodiode or photomultiplier tube, which converts light energy into an electrical current. The output of these devices can then be used to calculate the irradiance of the interference pattern.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of irradiance measurements in 2 beam interference?

The accuracy of irradiance measurements in 2 beam interference can be affected by factors such as the quality and alignment of the beams, the sensitivity and calibration of the measuring device, and external factors like ambient light or temperature.

4. How can the interference pattern be used to determine the irradiance of the individual beams?

In order to determine the irradiance of the individual beams in 2 beam interference, the interference pattern can be analyzed using equations such as the interference law or the Lambert-Beer law. These equations take into account the properties of the beams and the interference pattern to calculate the irradiance of each beam.

5. Can irradiance measurements in 2 beam interference be used to study the properties of the light source?

Yes, irradiance measurements in 2 beam interference can provide valuable information about the properties of the light source, such as its intensity, coherence, and polarization. By analyzing the interference pattern, scientists can gain a better understanding of the characteristics of the light source and how it interacts with other beams of light.