Measuring Hollow Sphere Diameter with Compass & Ruler

In summary, to measure a hollow sphere's diameter with a compass and ruler, you will need a compass, a ruler, and the hollow sphere itself. The process involves drawing a circle around the center of the sphere with the compass and measuring the distance across with the ruler. This method can be accurate if done correctly and any size compass and ruler can be used. It is a simple and inexpensive way to measure the diameter of a hollow sphere and does not require any advanced tools or equipment.
jmprada
Using only a compass and a ruler, how can we measure the diameter of a hollow sphere?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jmprada said:
Using only a compass and a ruler, how can we measure the diameter of a hollow sphere?

Hi jmprada! ;)

Here's my attempt.

We use the ruler to draw a straight line on the inside of the sphere.
The line will go all the way round and form a great circle.
Repeat and draw a second great circle.
Those 2 great circles will intersect each other in 2 points.
Measure the distance between those 2 points and we have the diameter.

1. What materials do I need to measure a hollow sphere's diameter with a compass and ruler?

To measure a hollow sphere's diameter with a compass and ruler, you will need a compass, a ruler, and the hollow sphere itself. It may also be helpful to have a flat surface to work on and a pen or pencil to mark your measurements.

2. How do I use a compass and ruler to measure the diameter of a hollow sphere?

First, place the hollow sphere on a flat surface. Then, use the compass to draw a circle around the center of the sphere. Next, use the ruler to measure the distance from one side of the circle to the other, passing through the center. This will be the diameter of the hollow sphere.

3. Is it accurate to measure a hollow sphere's diameter with a compass and ruler?

Yes, it can be accurate if done correctly. It is important to make sure the compass is centered on the sphere and the ruler is straight when measuring. Also, using a smaller ruler with smaller units of measurement can increase the accuracy of the measurement.

4. Can I measure the diameter of a hollow sphere with any size compass and ruler?

Yes, you can use any size compass and ruler as long as they are able to accurately measure the diameter of the sphere. It may be helpful to use a larger compass and ruler for larger spheres and a smaller compass and ruler for smaller spheres.

5. What is the benefit of using a compass and ruler to measure a hollow sphere's diameter?

Using a compass and ruler is a simple and inexpensive way to measure the diameter of a hollow sphere. It also does not require any advanced tools or equipment, making it accessible to anyone.