Measuring wavelength of microwave radiation using double slits

In summary, when theangle was found, they did not account for the uncertainty. I guess this is allowed still since the sine of the angle will still be greater than 1, correct?
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Pls see below
Relevant Equations
Pls see below
For this problem,
1678317760647.png

The solution is,
1678317783186.png

However, when they found the angle, they did not account for the uncertainty. I guess this is allowed still since the sine of the angle will still be greater than 1, correct?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
However, when they found the angle, they did not account for the uncertainty. I guess this is allowed still since the sine of the angle will still be greater than 1, correct?
Would accounting for the uncertainty bring the value of the sine to less than 1? What do you think?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Would accounting for the uncertainty bring the value of the sine to less than 1? What do you think?
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

No it would not. Is that the justification they made for not accounting for the uncertainty?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
No it would not. Is that the justification they made for not accounting for the uncertainty?
I don't know. I can't speak for them.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
I don't know. I can't speak for them.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman!

Oh, is that the justification you would make then?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Oh, is that the justification you would make then?
Nope. It would be the justification you provided in post #3.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Nope. It would be the justification you provided in post #3.
Thank you for your help @kuruman!

Sorry, I meant to the justification in post #3.

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
A few additional thoughts…

Assume that the ±5% uncertainty determines the allowed range of ##\lambda##. Then ##\lambda## must be between 0.95 cm and 1.05 cm.

(Though note that if ‘5%’ is a standard deviation, then ##\lambda## can be outside this range.)

The smallest possible value of ##\sin \theta_{bright}## (for m=1) is determined by the smallest possible value of ##\lambda##. So, IMO, the model-answer calculation should have been done using ##\lambda## = 0.95 cm rather than ##\lambda## =1.00cm.

But really, no calculation is needed. It is not difficult to argue that the formation of any bright fringes is not physically possible if ##\lambda \gt d##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Steve4Physics said:
A few additional thoughts…

Assume that the ±5% uncertainty determines the allowed range of ##\lambda##. Then ##\lambda## must be between 0.95 cm and 1.05 cm.

(Though note that if ‘5%’ is a standard deviation, then ##\lambda## can be outside this range.)

The smallest possible value of ##\sin \theta_{bright}## (for m=1) is determined by the smallest possible value of ##\lambda##. So, IMO, the model-answer calculation should have been done using ##\lambda## = 0.95 cm rather than ##\lambda## =1.00cm.

But really, no calculation is needed. It is not difficult to argue that the formation of any bright fringes is not physically possible if ##\lambda \gt d##.
Thank you for your help @Steve4Physics!

Sorry I forgot about this thread.

Likes Steve4Physics

What is the purpose of measuring the wavelength of microwave radiation using double slits?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the wavelength of microwave radiation, which can provide valuable information about the properties of the radiation and its potential uses in various applications.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

To measure the wavelength of microwave radiation using double slits, you will need a microwave source, a double slit apparatus, a ruler or measuring device, and a recording device such as a camera or computer.

How does the double slit apparatus work?

The double slit apparatus consists of two parallel slits that are separated by a known distance. When microwave radiation is passed through these slits, it diffracts and creates an interference pattern on a recording device. By measuring the distance between the peaks of the interference pattern, we can calculate the wavelength of the microwave radiation.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the measurement?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the measurement include the quality of the double slit apparatus, the stability of the microwave source, and any external interference or noise that may affect the interference pattern. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to obtain an accurate measurement.

What are the potential applications of this experiment?

Measuring the wavelength of microwave radiation using double slits can have various applications in fields such as telecommunications, astronomy, and medical imaging. It can also provide valuable insights into the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and help improve our understanding of the physical world.