Mechanical Advantage of a pulley with horizontal effort

In summary: MA is 1/100 of the weight of the nut divided by the weight of the pole.OK. Take your lever as an example. The VR is the geometry of the lengths. Assume you are using a galvanized scaffold pole to lift a walnut with the pole jammed into the ground. The VR will be say 100 but you are Also lifting that pole - half its weight- and 1/100th of the weight of the nut. MA is Approximately 1/100 of the weight of the nut divided by half the pole weight. Common use of MA would not consider that so go get the pole... MA is 1/100 of the weight of the nut divided by the weight of the pole.
Fiona Rozario
How will the MA of a fixed pulley change if I apply the effort horizontally? Intuitively, I feel horizontal effort should be lesser effort than vertical effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
Same force, other direction -- why would that change the mechanical advantage ?

Fiona Rozario said:
Summary:: How will the MA of a fixed pulley change if I apply the effort horizontally? Intuitively, I feel horizontal effort should be lesser effort than vertical effort.
Could you show us a schematic related to your question?
In general, fixed pulleys do not provide any mechanical advantage, only change the direction of the applied tension.

Sorry, I should have asked my question the other way round - Why doesn't the MA of a pulley depend on the direction of the effort?

Thank you, so much!

You are welcome, Fiona :smile:

BvU said:
That is not what is meant with the mechanical advantage of a pulley! The picture shows the relationship between the magnitude of the two forces drawn in red and the force in black. Mechanical advantage is a result of the number of loops in the rope (minus friction).
That is absolutely correct, the higher the number of loops in the rope, the higher the MA of a system of pulleys.

Perhaps I have not understood the OP's question (later modified by post #4) and have given incorrect advice.
My apologies to the OP if that is the case.
Again, posting a schematic diagram in the OP is always helpful.

What I have tried to explain above is that the mechanical advantage of a pulley is less than the ideal value of 2 each time that both sections of the loop are not parallel to each other.

If we accept the definition of IMA provided by the following article, the ideal ratio of the force out of the machine (load) to the force into the machine (pulling effort) is reduced by any lack of parallelism of the loop for a single pulley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_advantage#Ideal_mechanical_advantage

:cool:

Likes BvU
Lnewqban said:
That is absolutely correct, the higher the number of loops in the rope, the higher the MA of a system of pulleys.
This is not necessarily true in practice because it depends on the weight of the pulleys. This is why I always recommend using the quantity Velocity Ratio which is ideal and depends only on the geometry. As soon as you get practical, MA is less than VR (sometimes vastly less). Pulley blocks are often actually heavier than the load and significant work has to be done to lift them. (Not to mention the friction throughout)
I do not understand the reluctance to use the correct term. Two different concepts require two different terms.

Likes BvU
sophiecentaur said:
... I do not understand the reluctance to use the correct term. Two different concepts require two different terms.
Would you mind elaborating about the correct term a little more?
I am sorry, sophiecentaur, but I don't follow your reasoning here and feel I am missing something important.
What terms would you use for each case?

The way I see it is that, velocity ratio is only applicable under the ideal assumption that power-out equals power-in, since power = force x velocity, as you well know.

I believe that the power that is consumed by the stretching, bending and skidding of several loops of rope, the bearing's friction, the dead weight of pulleys, etc. is considered in the force-out / force-in ratio of what I call actual mechanical advantage of a simple machine with less that ideal mechanical efficiency.

If I may use the example of a simple lever, the difference of velocities between the input and load ends will be about the same for ideal and actual conditions.
At the same time, for lifting the same load, the actual less efficient lever would require a greater input force.

OK. Take your lever as an example. The VR is the geometry of the lengths. Assume you are using a galvanized scaffold pole to lift a walnut with the pole jammed into the ground. The VR will be say 100 but you are Also lifting that pole - half its weight- and 1/100th of the weight of the nut. MA is Approximately 1/100 of the weight of the nut divided by half the pole weight. Common use of MA would not consider that so go get the pole and be prepared for a surprise.
Some very efficient machines do a lot better than that, of course but you cannot assume 90+% efficiency.

sophiecentaur said:
Some very efficient machines do a lot better than that, of course but you cannot assume 90+% efficiency.
Now I get it.
Thank you.

Likes sophiecentaur
Lnewqban said:
Now I get it.
Thank you.
Problem is that, if you take my message and start to use VR, most people will say "Whaaaat?" and think you are speaking Greek.

Likes Lnewqban
You all speak Greek lol. I just wanted to tell everyone of you y'all should be extremely proud of yourselves. All of you are extremely talented individuals, and also the professionalism and professional courtesy towards one another is outstanding. And these are just some appreciative and encouraging comments from somebody from nowhere LOL

Likes Lnewqban and sophiecentaur
Some random guy said:
You all speak Greek lol. I just wanted to tell everyone of you y'all should be extremely proud of yourselves. All of you are extremely talented individuals, and also the professionalism and professional courtesy towards one another is outstanding. And these are just some appreciative and encouraging comments from somebody from nowhere LOL
The message in all this is that 'Machines' are used, either to produce more force / torque or more movement. Mechanical Advantage is essential a practical quantity and it's 'what you get', after the geometry, friction and deadweight are all taken into account.
The General Public are sloppy about many things and they will expect things like 'leverage' always to be in their favour - when they just look at the layout. Anyone with Engineering aspirations needs to learn the realities of these things.

1. What is the definition of mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage refers to the ratio of the output force produced by a machine to the input force applied to the machine. It is a measure of how much a machine amplifies or multiplies the input force.

2. How is mechanical advantage calculated for a pulley with horizontal effort?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley with horizontal effort is calculated by dividing the output force (the weight being lifted) by the input force (the force applied to the rope). For example, if a 100-pound weight is lifted with an input force of 20 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 100/20 = 5.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage in a pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a system does not change the mechanical advantage. However, it can change the direction of the force needed to lift the weight. With more pulleys, the weight can be distributed over a longer distance, making it easier to lift but requiring more rope to be pulled.

4. What is the difference between ideal and actual mechanical advantage in a pulley system?

Ideal mechanical advantage refers to the theoretical maximum mechanical advantage of a pulley system, assuming there is no friction or energy loss. Actual mechanical advantage takes into account the effects of friction and other inefficiencies in the system, and is always lower than the ideal mechanical advantage.

5. How does the angle of the rope affect the mechanical advantage in a pulley system?

The angle of the rope can affect the mechanical advantage in a pulley system. As the angle of the rope increases, the mechanical advantage decreases due to the increased friction and resistance on the pulley. This is why it is important to keep the rope as close to horizontal as possible in order to maximize the mechanical advantage.