Mechanical Boundary condition of a Floating Structure

In summary, the conversation is about a floating structure that has undergone CFD simulation and now the speaker wants to do a mechanical analysis by applying the fluid force as an external load. However, the speaker is experiencing unexpected deformations or displacements in their simulations and is seeking advice on how to properly constrain the structure. They mention trying various boundary conditions and being confused about the results. The conversation ends with the speaker requesting more specific information or pictures in order to provide better help.
shade rahmawati
Dear all,

I made a cad of floating structure (the frame only), figure attached below. It should be located in the water and moored, so it can't go anywhere. The CFD simulation was done. So I have fluid force on the structure. Now I want to do mechanical analysis of the structure by apply the fluid force as external load. I have no problem in operating the software. My problem is, I already try some scenarios of boundary condition of the structure, such as fixed, pin, etc., and I found that the deformation isn't as expected (large bending) or no displacement at all.
Any idea?

Regards,
Shade

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 473
Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the nature of the unexpected deformations or displacements? Are you constraining the structure by its floats? As a general rule you will want to constrain the model such that expansion/contraction can occur but rigid body motion cannot.

Mech_Engineer said:
What is the nature of the unexpected deformations or displacements? Are you constraining the structure by its floats? As a general rule you will want to constrain the model such that expansion/contraction can occur but rigid body motion cannot.

Thank you. I want to constraint it by its mooring position. So probably there won't be any frame displacement, but I expect there's stress distribution.
So, I'm still try any combination of constraints at different part of the structure.
Confused? Me too

Cheers
Shade

Without a better description with pictures of the problem you're seeing, I'm not sure we can help you any more effectively.

Related to Mechanical Boundary condition of a Floating Structure

What is a mechanical boundary condition?

A mechanical boundary condition is a set of restrictions or limitations imposed on a physical system in order to accurately model its behavior. In the case of a floating structure, mechanical boundary conditions would include factors such as weight, buoyancy, and forces acting on the structure.

Why is understanding mechanical boundary conditions important for floating structures?

Understanding mechanical boundary conditions is crucial for designing and constructing safe and efficient floating structures. These conditions dictate how the structure will respond to external forces such as wind, waves, and currents, and must be carefully considered to ensure the stability and longevity of the structure.

What are some common mechanical boundary conditions for floating structures?

Common mechanical boundary conditions for floating structures include weight distribution, buoyancy, center of gravity, and hydrodynamic forces. These factors must be carefully analyzed and accounted for in the design and construction of the structure to ensure its stability and functionality.

How do mechanical boundary conditions differ for different types of floating structures?

The mechanical boundary conditions for floating structures can vary depending on the type of structure and its intended use. For example, the conditions for a large offshore oil platform will differ from those of a small floating dock. The size, shape, and location of the structure will also impact the specific mechanical boundary conditions that must be considered.

What happens if mechanical boundary conditions are not properly accounted for in the design of a floating structure?

If mechanical boundary conditions are not carefully considered and accounted for in the design of a floating structure, it can lead to instability, structural failure, and potentially dangerous situations. This can result in costly repairs, damage to property, and even harm to individuals. Therefore, it is important to thoroughly analyze and understand the mechanical boundary conditions for a floating structure before construction begins.