Mechanical energy in an orbit

mancity
Homework Statement
Given an elliptical planetary orbit of a planet and a star, do:
(a) the mechanical energy of the planet change during the orbit? If so, describe the motion.
(b) the mechanical energy of the planet-star system change during the orbit? If so, describe the motion.
Relevant Equations
ME=KE+PE
Obviously the mechanical energy of the total system remains the same.

But I'm having a hard time determining of the ME of the planet is constant or if it is changing.

Physics news on Phys.org
mancity said:
Homework Statement: Given an elliptical planetary orbit of a planet and a star, do:
(a) the mechanical energy of the planet change during the orbit? If so, describe the motion.

But I'm having a hard time determining of the ME of the planet is constant or if it is changing.
What's the precise definition of the ME of a planet that is part of a two-body system?

1. What is mechanical energy in an orbit?

Mechanical energy in an orbit is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy of an object moving in a circular path around another object, such as a planet orbiting a star.

2. How is mechanical energy related to the speed of an object in orbit?

The mechanical energy of an object in orbit is directly related to its speed. As the speed of the object increases, its kinetic energy also increases, leading to a higher total mechanical energy in the orbit.

3. Can mechanical energy be conserved in an orbit?

Yes, mechanical energy can be conserved in an orbit if there are no external forces acting on the object. In the absence of friction or other forces, the total mechanical energy of the object will remain constant throughout its orbit.

4. How does mechanical energy affect the shape of an orbit?

Mechanical energy plays a crucial role in determining the shape of an orbit. Objects with higher mechanical energy will have more elliptical orbits, while objects with lower mechanical energy will have more circular orbits.

5. What happens to mechanical energy when an object changes its orbit?

When an object changes its orbit, its mechanical energy can either increase or decrease depending on the changes in its speed and potential energy. For example, if an object moves to a higher orbit, its mechanical energy will increase as it gains potential energy.