Mechanical energy of a wooden block sliding down an incline.

In summary, a wooden block was placed on an incline with an angle of 18.5 degrees and was determined to experience kinetic friction. Five trials were performed, each with a different distance between the block and a photo-gate. The calculated velocities were approximately 0.18m/s for each trial. The graph of displacement over change in total mechanical energy showed a negative slope, indicating that the block was losing energy due to friction. However, there were discrepancies in the timings and velocities, possibly due to changes in equipment or environmental factors.
Kot

Homework Statement

A wooden block is on an incline with θ = 18.5 degrees. The angle was determined to be big enough that the wooden block would experience kinetic friction ( slides down the ramp). A photo-gate was used to measure the time it took for the block to move a certain distance. Five different trials are performed each time moving the block an increment of 10 centimeters away from the photo-gate. The distance of the block from the photo-gate are 0.2m, 0.3m, 0.4m, 0.5m, and 0.6m. The time it takes the block to pass the photo-gate is 0.31s, 0.31s, 0.313s, 0.36s, and 0.32s respectively. The velocities of each trial are about 0.18m/s for each trial. These values were calculated when I did my lab. I am supposed to calculate the kinetic energy, potential energy due to gravity, total change in mechanical energy and graph them in terms of the displacement.

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv2
U=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to calculate the kinetic energy, potential energy and total change in mechanical energy of the wooden block. When I graphed displacement over change in total mechanical energy the graph was a line and had a negative slope. I assume that it is negative because the wooden block is losing energy due to friction while it travels down the incline so this results in a graph with a negative slope, is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kot said:
it is negative because the wooden block is losing energy due to friction while it travels down the incline so this results in a graph with a negative slope, is this correct?
Yes, but I'm surprised you always saw much the same speed. In fact, it seems to get slower as the run-up increases. Why is one time to 3 places of decimals and the others only to 2?
Seems to me your timings aren't precise enough to conclude much.

I rounded the times down and accidentally left that part in. Looking back on the graph I do find the velocities decreasing slowly. I think this was due to the equipment because on some trials we would get a significantly faster velocity than the previous trials at the same distance.

Kot said:
I rounded the times down and accidentally left that part in. Looking back on the graph I do find the velocities decreasing slowly. I think this was due to the equipment because on some trials we would get a significantly faster velocity than the previous trials at the same distance.
Something might have been changing... getting warmer, or damper etc. Maybe you should have repeated the set of distances a few times to see if there were any trend against passing time.

I will keep that in mind next time. I am unable to perform this experiment again at this time. I guess I have to state the error in my lab report.

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of the kinetic and potential energy of an object. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy that an object has due to its position or state.

2. How is the mechanical energy of a wooden block sliding down an incline calculated?

The mechanical energy of a wooden block sliding down an incline can be calculated using the equation E = KE + PE, where E is the total mechanical energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy. The kinetic energy can be found by using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the block and v is its velocity. The potential energy can be found using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline.

3. How does the height of the incline affect the mechanical energy of the wooden block?

The height of the incline directly affects the potential energy of the wooden block. As the height increases, the potential energy also increases. This means that the total mechanical energy of the block will also increase, as long as the kinetic energy remains constant.

4. What happens to the mechanical energy of the wooden block as it slides down the incline?

As the wooden block slides down the incline, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. This is because the block is losing height, which results in a decrease in potential energy, but gaining speed, which results in an increase in kinetic energy. The total mechanical energy of the block remains constant unless there is friction or other external forces acting on it.

5. How does the mass of the block affect its mechanical energy?

The mass of the block directly affects its mechanical energy. The greater the mass of the block, the greater its kinetic and potential energy will be. This is because both kinetic and potential energy are directly proportional to the mass of an object. Therefore, a heavier block will have more mechanical energy than a lighter block when sliding down an incline.