Mechanical Engineering Senior Design Project Ideas

In summary, the conversation is about a student studying Mechanical Engineering in the UK who needs to come up with a project for their final year. They mention their cousin studying Aerospace Engineering who will work on a project with a group of 5 people with different specialties. The student will work alone and has intermediate knowledge in Auto Cad, Mechanics, Materials, and Manufacturing. They ask for suggestions within their specialties and mention that the project will require a working model and has a deadline of May 2015 with a budget of $1600. The conversation then goes on to discuss ideas for the project, including a HV tazer spear tip and the importance of project management.
umair21
Hey guys, I am currently studying Mechanical Engineering in the UK. For my final year, we have to basically invent or design something that hasn't been invented before or improve something that's already been invented.Now unlike my cousin who's studying Aerospace Engineering in the US, he told me that for his senior project, he will be working with a group of 5 people, who specialize in different disciplines of engineering like electrical, industrial, mechanical etc. So basically I have to work alone on my final year project. I would say I have Intermediate knowledge on Auto Cad,Mechanics, Materials and Manufacturing. What do you guys suggest ? and the costs of whatever I work on is coming out of my pocket. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me an Idea that's possible within the limitations of the specialties I mentioned above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your program not provide the possibility of doing a team assignment? It can be valuable to work on a team (especialIy a multidisciplinary team) and you may achieve more through teamwork and brainstorming.

That being said if you must work alone, I would recommend choosing a project in a hobby area of yours. Try to choose something in an area of interest that has the possibility of design optimization.

Does the project require you make a working model? Got plenty of ideas to toss at you, but should be something in your area of interest. Estimated time you are expected to apply to project? When is it due? Budget limits?

Linghunt said:
Does the project require you make a working model? Got plenty of ideas to toss at you, but should be something in your area of interest. Estimated time you are expected to apply to project? When is it due? Budget limits?
Yes the project requires a working model, the deadline is may 2015 and my budget is under $1600

That's plenty of time and $$, What about an estimate for how much time you want to spend on it. Ball park, say 40 hrs, 100, 400 , etc.

Are you more interested in a design will multiple parts and tolerating aspects, or maybe a design dealing with metal forming and material compression limits.

Do you want design to include electrical hardware or just mechanical?

I got one design in my list of things to do is a HV tazer spear tip, looking to paralyze the nervous system of large fish when they are shot with a pole spear. Fish can get over 500 lbs. Not that is the project, but I have a list of concepts and ideas that are not typical.

What are the baseline rules for your project, Working with me or my buddy engineers against what is allowed?

Linghunt said:
That's plenty of time and $$, What about an estimate for how much time you want to spend on it. Ball park, say 40 hrs, 100, 400 , etc.

Are you more interested in a design will multiple parts and tolerating aspects, or maybe a design dealing with metal forming and material compression limits.

Do you want design to include electrical hardware or just mechanical?

I got one design in my list of things to do is a HV tazer spear tip, looking to paralyze the nervous system of large fish when they are shot with a pole spear. Fish can get over 500 lbs. Not that is the project, but I have a list of concepts and ideas that are not typical.

What are the baseline rules for your project, Working with me or my buddy engineers against what is allowed?
Well I'm looking to spend around 360 hours or 30 weeks and there are no rules and restrictions, I can get help from other engineering students but projects are individual and I don't mind working with electrical hardware along with mechanical and a design with multiple components with tolerating aspects. By the way I'm not allowed to make ammunition lool.

umair21 said:
Well I'm looking to spend around 360 hours or 30 weeks and there are no rules and restrictions, I can get help from other engineering students but projects are individual and I don't mind working with electrical hardware along with mechanical and a design with multiple components with tolerating aspects. By the way I'm not allowed to make ammunition lool.

Ammunition means use of gunpowder? Not what I was considering., but would be fun as well. Polespears and spearguns hopefully not considered a no no. 360 hours, going to have to consider one of the harder design challenges.

My BSME bud Joe, who also has a machine shop in his garage should be back in a few days from vacation trip. He might have some different ideas for you to choose from. Joe is worse than me for crazy ideas.

Since you are new to the prototype design mode, Let me consider it will take you 180 hrs of work, the 180 additional hours will towards learning and redo type activities.

Be a good idea for you to wear the project manager cap as well, typically you don't learn this in school but on the job. Planning, Estimating, and Executing a project is just as important as doing the technical fun stuff. I would recommend this be added to the scope.

Linghunt said:
Ammunition means use of gunpowder? Not what I was considering., but would be fun as well. Polespears and spearguns hopefully not considered a no no. 360 hours, going to have to consider one of the harder design challenges.

My BSME bud Joe, who also has a machine shop in his garage should be back in a few days from vacation trip. He might have some different ideas for you to choose from. Joe is worse than me for crazy ideas.

Since you are new to the prototype design mode, Let me consider it will take you 180 hrs of work, the 180 additional hours will towards learning and redo type activities.

Be a good idea for you to wear the project manager cap as well, typically you don't learn this in school but on the job. Planning, Estimating, and Executing a project is just as important as doing the technical fun stuff. I would recommend this be added to the scope.
I don't know the exact policy on spear guns and gun powder but so far attending the university's senior engineering project events for the past couple of years, I haven't seen anything like that or anything that resembles a weapon of any kind and definitely work experience I think is as important as class work. I'm also applying for an internship which can only help me do a better job with this senior project and time management skills. I'm really looking forward to what you guys suggest and thank you for contributing so far.

Weapon is such a general term. All of these items are weapons; pencil, baseball bat, roll on coins, aluminum flashlight, screw driver, almost anything.

Most in general public have no clue what a speargun or pole spear is. Call the speargun "a Stainless steel shaft acceleration device."

If you leave the word gun out of it it will confuse them. Don't know about UK, but these tools for getting fish are not regulated her, except by Game and Fish rules.

Could go with something different as well, like a micrometer to measure multi-start threads. Not sure it's even possible.

Did you come up with a concept? Not heard from you in a while.

1. What is a mechanical engineering senior design project?

A mechanical engineering senior design project is a culminating project for undergraduate students studying mechanical engineering. It typically involves designing and creating a mechanical system or product that addresses a real-world problem or need. It allows students to apply the knowledge and skills they have gained throughout their studies and provides hands-on experience in project management, teamwork, and problem-solving.

2. How do I come up with ideas for a mechanical engineering senior design project?

There are a few ways to come up with ideas for a mechanical engineering senior design project. You could start by identifying a problem or need that you are passionate about and brainstorming potential solutions. You could also look at current industry trends and challenges and try to design a project that addresses them. Another approach is to work with a faculty advisor or industry mentor to develop a project idea.

3. Can I work on my own project idea for a mechanical engineering senior design project?

Yes, many universities allow students to work on their own project ideas for their mechanical engineering senior design project. However, it is important to consult with a faculty advisor or industry mentor to ensure that your project is feasible and aligned with the learning objectives of the program.

4. What are some examples of past mechanical engineering senior design projects?

Past mechanical engineering senior design projects have included designing and building a prosthetic hand, creating a solar-powered water purification system, developing a smart bike helmet, and designing a sustainable energy system for a building. Other examples include designing a self-driving car, developing a medical device for remote patient monitoring, and creating a robotic arm for industrial applications.

5. How important is the prototyping and testing phase of a mechanical engineering senior design project?

The prototyping and testing phase is a crucial part of a mechanical engineering senior design project. It allows students to test their designs and make necessary improvements before finalizing their project. It also provides valuable hands-on experience in the manufacturing and testing processes, which are essential skills for mechanical engineers in the industry.