Mechanical principles assistance.

In summary, the student is struggling with integrating an angle into their mechanical equations. They need assistance resolving the stresses on a bolt with an angle.
studenteng

Homework Statement

Hello this is my first post.
Im currently studying towards a level three national diploma in engineering operations.
I need some assistance with a mechanical principles problem. ( A crude drawing of the problem has been attached haha)
I need to work out the direct and shear stresses on a pair of bolts with an 18mm diameter. The bolts are installed at a 60 degree angle to the applied load and share the loading equally the pull on the joint they are connected to is 100kn ( both sides). The part of the problem i am struggling with is intergrating the angle into my equations. I can work out shear and direct stresses easily when dealing on flat non angled surfaces, but I am struggling a bit with the angle.
Id appreciate a description of the method needed to work out the direct and shear stresses when dealing with an angle, rather than the actual answer as i won't learn anything. I am thinking ill need to use trigonometry to resolve this problem, as I am stumped in seeing any other way. Maybe some resoloution of forces? Any help will be greatley appreciated.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I also need to work out the limiting factor of safety for both bolts, which i can do without any assistance.
I work direct stress to be f/a = 110kn /(pi (18x10 to the -3 ) / 4) = Direct stress per bolt. But once again I am not sure if this is even right as i haven't taken the angle into consideration.
Basically i need some form of assistance.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
studenteng: Yes, go ahead and break the applied load into components, using trigonometry. You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your work. And then someone might check your math.

Check your calculation of area of a circle; your area calculation currently looks incorrect. And, the total applied load should not be applied as tensile force.

(1) By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 18 mm, not 18mm.

(2) The unit symbol for kiloNewton is spelled kN, not kn. Lowercase n means nano. Always use correct capitalization of units.

(3) For exponentiation, use the caret (^) symbol. E.g., 10^-3, not "10 to the -3."

(4) For scientific notation, you can use 18e-3.

Thanks for the reply.
Thanks for the tips, i am aware of the lack of accuracy in my post i was in a rush, i will take care to formulate my calculations properley next time

Related to Mechanical principles assistance.

1. What are mechanical principles?

Mechanical principles refer to the fundamental laws and concepts that govern the behavior and movement of objects and systems in the physical world. They are based on principles of physics and mechanics and are essential for understanding and designing machines and structures.

2. Why is it important to understand mechanical principles?

Understanding mechanical principles is crucial for engineers, designers, and anyone working with machines or structures. It allows them to predict and control the behavior of objects and systems, ensuring safety, efficiency, and functionality.

3. What are some examples of mechanical principles?

Examples of mechanical principles include Newton's laws of motion, the principles of work and energy, and the laws of thermodynamics. Other examples include principles of force, torque, friction, and inertia.

4. How can mechanical principles be applied in real-life situations?

Mechanical principles can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing machines and structures, analyzing the performance of vehicles, predicting the behavior of materials under stress, and developing new technologies. They are also essential in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.

5. Can you give an example of a mechanical principle in action?

One example of a mechanical principle in action is the use of the lever to lift heavy objects. This is based on the principle of torque, which states that a force applied at a distance from a pivot point can produce a larger force on the other end of the lever. This principle is used in tools such as crowbars and seesaws, as well as in larger machines like cranes and forklifts.