Mechanical vibration -> proving a larger motor will vibrate more

In summary, the task is to prove that a bigger motor results in bigger vibration. The relevant data includes the running speed of the motor, the moment of inertia of the rotor, the weight of the motor and shaft, and the diameter of the shaft. The formula for the magnitude of vibration is used to calculate the values of 'r' and 'ζ', but there are issues with determining the stiffness and using the correct formula. Further guidance is needed to accurately calculate the magnitude of vibration.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I have a task of essentially proving that bigger motor = bigger vibration. I have certain data such as the running speed of the motor (), moment of inertia of the rotor, weight of the motor and shaft and the diameter of the shaft.

Homework Equations

[tex]|X| = \frac{me}{M} \frac{r^2}{\sqrt{(1-r^2)^2+(2 \zeta r)^2}}[/tex]

[tex]k = \frac{384EI}{L^3}[/tex]

[tex]I = \frac{\pi d^4}{64}[/tex]

[tex]\zeta = \frac{c}{\sqrt{mk}}[/tex]

[tex] r = \frac{\omega}{\omega _n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The motor is vertically mounted so I am not sure if this will affect my theoretical calculations below:
Mass of rotor = m
Mass of motor = M
Polar moment of inertia of rotor = J
Running speed = ω
Natural frequency = ωn
Stiffness of shaft = k
Modulus of elasticity of shaft = E
Eccentricity of shaft = e (I will put this as some small number as the shaft may not be perfectly round but round enough to run properly)

Since the motor will essentially be running with an eccentric load (albeit quite small) the magnitude of the vibration should be given by

[tex]|X| = \frac{me}{M} \frac{r^2}{\sqrt{(1-r^2)^2+(2 \zeta r)^2}}[/tex]
Where r = w/wn
So the main issue is to get the values of r and z. So here is where I think I’ve gone wrong.
I know that ζ = c/√(mk) and I’ve assumed c = 2000 kg/s (I have no idea how much this value is to be on average).

To find the stiffness I considered the rotor to be like a simply supported beam (supported by the two bearings) with a uniform load w (or WL)
The displacement would be given by
[tex]y = \frac{5WL^3}{384EI}[/tex]
[tex]k = \frac{W}{y} = \frac{384EI}{L^3}[/tex]
I = 2J, with E assumed to be 200 GPa
Also confused here as I know the diameter of the shaft so I can use I = πd4/64 which is not the same value as in the data sheet of the motor.
From the formula above, I get k (which is a very large number from my numbers – in the order of 10^8 N/m if I remember correctly) and use
[tex]ω_n = \sqrt{\frac{k/m}}[/tex]

so I can get 'r' and 'ζ'.

The problem comes in that I think my values for k is too large which causes my value for ζ to be too small and subsequently r is also too small.

The second problem I come into contact with is the fact that changing the values to reflect a smaller motor ( so smaller m and M) shows me that my vibration amplitude decreases! Can anyone give me some sort of guidance as to where I am going wrong or have I made this case too simple for complex vibrations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure of how to correctly calculate the stiffness or how to correctly use the formula for the magnitude of vibration. Any help would be much appreciated.

1. How does the size of a motor affect its vibration?

The larger a motor is, the more energy it requires to run. This energy is converted into motion, causing the motor to vibrate more. This is because a larger motor has more mass, which requires more force to move, resulting in stronger vibrations.

2. What factors influence the amount of vibration produced by a motor?

Aside from the size of the motor, other factors such as the speed at which it is running, the type of motor, and the load it is carrying can also affect the amount of vibration produced. For example, a motor running at a higher speed will typically vibrate more than one running at a lower speed.

3. Can a motor's vibration be reduced?

Yes, there are ways to reduce a motor's vibration, such as using vibration-dampening materials, proper mounting and alignment, and balancing the motor components. However, it is important to note that some level of vibration is expected and necessary for the motor to function properly.

4. Is there a limit to how large a motor can be without causing excessive vibration?

There is no set limit to how large a motor can be without causing excessive vibration. It depends on various factors such as the type of motor, its design, and the intended use. However, engineers and designers often take into consideration the potential for vibration when designing larger motors.

5. How does vibration affect a motor's performance and lifespan?

Vibration can cause wear and tear on a motor's components, leading to a shorter lifespan and potential performance issues. Excessive vibration can also affect the motor's efficiency and cause damage to surrounding equipment. Regular maintenance and proper installation can help mitigate these effects and prolong the motor's lifespan.