Medical Physics: the spine as a pivot

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of balancing torques on the spine. The speaker is confused about why a larger force T is needed to balance the forces, and asks for clarification on how the lever arms of the forces compare to the lever arm of T. Another participant explains that the lever arm of force T is shorter, hence a higher force is needed to balance the torques. The speaker confirms their understanding and thanks the other participant for their help.
Mahavir
Hi everyone,
So, as I came across a point that I'm struggling to grasp and I was hoping someone here could kindly help me out.

I've attached a diagram that describes the issue.

• T represents all the muscles acting on the spine;
  • R is the force of the spine (pivot).
Where I get confused is why a larger force T is necessary to balance the forces?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Mahavir

Attachments

• Snip20180815_1.png
    Snip20180815_1.png
    23 KB · Views: 356
Physics news on Phys.org
Mahavir said:
Where I get confused is why a larger force T is necessary to balance the forces?
How do the lever arms of "the forces" compare to the lever arm of T?

A.T. said:

Hi A.T.,

Thank you for your reply. Oh, thank you. The lever arm of the Force T (spine) is a lot shorter than the lever arm of W and therefore in order for their torques to balance, the force exerted by T needs to be a lot higher than the weight.

Is that correct?

A.T. said:

I would really appreciate your answer to my above query, please.

Mahavir said:
The lever arm of the Force T (spine) is a lot shorter than the lever arm of W and therefore in order for their torques to balance, the force exerted by T needs to be a lot higher than the weight.
Yes.

Likes Mahavir
A.T. said:
Yes.

Got it, thanks a lot! :)

1. What is medical physics and how does it relate to the spine as a pivot?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and techniques to the field of medicine. It plays a crucial role in the diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of various diseases and conditions. The spine, as a pivot, is an essential structure in the human body that allows for movement and stability. Medical physics helps in understanding the biomechanics of the spine and its role in various medical procedures.

2. How does medical physics contribute to the diagnosis of spine-related conditions?

Medical physics uses various imaging techniques such as X-rays, MRI, and CT scans to visualize the spine and identify any abnormalities or injuries. These images provide valuable information that aids in the accurate diagnosis of spine-related conditions.

3. Can medical physics be used in the treatment of spine-related conditions?

Yes, medical physics is an integral part of the treatment process for spine-related conditions. It helps in planning and delivering radiation therapy for conditions such as spinal tumors. It also plays a role in developing and testing new treatment techniques.

4. How does the spine act as a pivot in the human body?

The spine, also known as the vertebral column, is made up of 33 vertebrae that are connected by joints and muscles. It acts as a pivot, providing support and stability to the body while allowing for movement. It also protects the spinal cord, which is the main pathway for nerve signals between the brain and the rest of the body.

5. What are some common spine-related conditions that medical physics can help diagnose and treat?

Medical physics plays a significant role in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions such as scoliosis, spinal fractures, spinal cord injuries, and spinal tumors. It also contributes to the development of prosthetics and surgical techniques for spine-related conditions.