Quadratic air resistance clarification

In summary: This is the solution of the integral from v0 to 0. In summary, the conversation discusses using separation of variables to solve a differential equation for an object projected upwards. The constant of integration is not included in a definite integral and the sign change at the top of the motion is due to evaluating the result expression at v=0 and subtracting the value when v=v0. The time to the top of the motion is equal to the positive solution of the integral from v0 to 0.
penroseandpaper
Homework Statement
Please see screenshot
Relevant Equations
Please see screenshot
Hi all,

I've been trying to follow a question I came across on a website. And I'm able to understand everything up until the separation of variables for solving the differential equation and coming to a solution with arctan. But there are a few things that aren't explained that I was hoping somebody could shed some light on.

Right, so first, it's to do with an object that is projected upwards and has initial velocity greater than zero. Applying Newton's second law, the left hand side is m dv/dt and the left hand side has W+R; it's the quadratic expression for air resistance. Motion is upwards, and both forces act opposite (down). Dividing through by m leads to the differential equation found in the screenshots below.

Separation of variables means we can move the right hand side to the left (making it the denominator, under 1). And that can be integrated to result in the expression with arctan. Meanwhile, t is the result of integration on the right hand side. That's where I got up to without issue.

My first question is what happens to the constant of integration? I'm not exactly sure how to confirm if it has a value, given initial velocity is greater than zero. I know t=0 at this time, but I'm in a bit of a fuzz trying to balance the sides.

Second, why does the sign change at the top of the motion when v=0? Is that to do with changing the order of the boundaries?

And finally, why is time to the top of the motion equal to the positive solution of the integrand, with v0 in place of v?

Thank you for your help,
Penn
Screenshot_20201010-205231~2.png
Screenshot_20201010-205246~2.png
Screenshot_20201010-205258~2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
penroseandpaper said:
My first question is what happens to the constant of integration? I'm not exactly sure how to confirm if it has a value, given initial velocity is greater than zero. I know t=0 at this time, but I'm in a bit of a fuzz trying to balance the sides.
You don't include a constant of integration in a definite integral.
penroseandpaper said:
Second, why does the sign change at the top of the motion when v=0? Is that to do with changing the order of the boundaries?
Your question is not very clear. By "why does the sign change..." I assume, but don't know for certain, that you are asking about why arctan shows up with a negative sign in the integral right after the first one in red.
The reason is that v = 0 and v0 is some positive number. So you evaluate the result expression at v = 0, and then subtract the value when v = v0.
penroseandpaper said:
And finally, why is time to the top of the motion equal to the positive solution of the integrand, with v0 in place of v?
t in the problem is the time when the projectile gets to the top of its path.

1. What is quadratic air resistance?

Quadratic air resistance is a type of air resistance that is proportional to the square of an object's velocity. This means that as an object moves faster, the air resistance it experiences increases exponentially.

2. How does quadratic air resistance affect the motion of an object?

Quadratic air resistance can significantly impact the motion of an object, as it creates a force that opposes the direction of motion. This force can cause an object to slow down or change direction.

3. What factors influence the magnitude of quadratic air resistance?

The magnitude of quadratic air resistance is affected by several factors, including the density of the air, the shape and size of the object, and the speed at which the object is moving.

4. How is quadratic air resistance different from linear air resistance?

Linear air resistance is a type of air resistance that is directly proportional to an object's velocity. This means that as an object moves faster, the air resistance it experiences increases at a constant rate. In contrast, quadratic air resistance increases at an exponential rate.

5. How is quadratic air resistance calculated?

The equation for calculating quadratic air resistance is F = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * A * C, where F is the force of air resistance, ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the object, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient. This equation takes into account the factors that influence the magnitude of quadratic air resistance.