Memorable quotes from mathematicians & physicists

• Thread starter StatGuy2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, some memorable quotes attributed to famous mathematicians and physicists on any topic include: "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled," "Discovery is the privilege of the child: the child who has no fear of being once again wrong, of looking like an idiot, of not being serious, of not doing things like everyone else," "The law that entropy always increases, holds, I think, the supreme position among the laws of Nature," "If someone points out to you that your pet theory of the universe is in disagreement with Maxwell's equations — then so much the worse for Maxwell's equations. If
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Hi everyone! I just saw another PF thread requesting quotes from physicists about superposition. This particular thread topic made me curious about memorable quotes attributed to well-known mathematicians and physicists on any topic.

Please share any memorable quotes you can find from famous mathematicians and physicists and post them here on this thread.

I'll start:

Richard Feynman: "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."

Likes QuantumQuest and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
"Discovery is the privilege of the child: the child who has no fear of being once again wrong, of looking like an idiot, of not being serious, of not doing things like everyone else."

(Alexander Grothedieck)

Likes DeBangis21, QuantumQuest, StatGuy2000 and 1 other person
This one is one of my absolute favorites because I think it says so much, while also being very funny:
Arthur Eddington said:
The law that entropy always increases, holds, I think, the supreme position among the laws of Nature. If someone points out to you that your pet theory of the universe is in disagreement with Maxwell's equations — then so much the worse for Maxwell's equations. If it is found to be contradicted by observation — well, these experimentalists do bungle things sometimes. But if your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics I can give you no hope; there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation.
Arthur Eddington, The Nature of the Physical World (1928), source is here.

Likes QuantumQuest, StatGuy2000 and BillTre
I also remember these two quotes which also are favorites of mine:
I.I. Rabi said:
Who ordered that?
I.I. Rabi, when informed of the unexpected discovery of the muon particle in 1936. Source is here.
Enrico Fermi said:
If I could remember the names of all these particles, I'd be a botanist.
Enrico Fermi, source is here.

EDIT:
There is also a very funny quote regarding the rapidly increasing number of discovered particles in the 1900s (the so called particle zoo), but I can't remember the quote exactly, and I don't remember who said it, and my google-fu can not find it at the moment... it was something like this:

"the next one who discovers a new particle should not get a prize, instead he should have to pay a penalty for it"
(or something like that)

If someone knows or remembers the quote I'm thinking of, I would appreciate it :smile:.
@mfb, @ZapperZ, @Orodruin maybe?

Edit: I think I found the quote, see post #17 below.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, QuantumQuest, StatGuy2000 and 1 other person
"Some people have got a mental horizon of radius zero and call it their point of view."

David Hilbert

Likes pinball1970, QuantumQuest, StatGuy2000 and 4 others
Last edited:
Likes Lord Jestocost, StatGuy2000 and DennisN
how about this one (not sure if Van50 fits the OP request "famous mathematicians and physicists") but I think it's "memorable"

Vanadium 50 said:
If you want to understand QM, there are better ways to go about it than a parade of misunderstandings, misstatements and misrepresentations, hoping someone will correct you.

Likes Charles Link and AlexCaledin
Likes StatGuy2000 and fresh_42
gmax137 said:
I just saw this one:
"Science advances one funeral at a time"
- Max Planck

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Max_Planck calls this a "paraphrased variant" but it is pithy, isn't it?
Hmmm...

upload_2018-10-25_18-57-0.png

In case of translation needed: https://www.mpg.de/en

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-25_18-57-0.png
    upload_2018-10-25_18-57-0.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 556
quote-mathematics-is-the-only-good-metaphysics-lord-kelvin-57-40-67.jpg

- the earliest argument for MWI:smile:

Attachments

• quote-mathematics-is-the-only-good-metaphysics-lord-kelvin-57-40-67.jpg
    quote-mathematics-is-the-only-good-metaphysics-lord-kelvin-57-40-67.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest, StatGuy2000 and fresh_42
One of the best-kept secrets of science is that physicists have lost their grip on reality.

- Nick Herbert

Likes pinball1970 and AlexCaledin
God used beautiful mathematics in creating the world.
-Paul Dirac

Likes AlexCaledin and StatGuy2000
"The career of a young theoretical physicist consists of treating the harmonic oscillator in ever-increasing levels of abstraction."
Sidney Coleman

Likes Lord Jestocost, DennisN and QuantumQuest
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Likes DeBangis21, BillTre, Charles Link and 1 other person
George Jones said:
"The career of a young theoretical physicist consists of treating the harmonic oscillator in ever-increasing levels of abstraction."
I had not heard that one and I laughed when I read it. It is hilarious, thanks for posting! :DD

DennisN said:
There is also a very funny quote regarding the rapidly increasing number of discovered particles in the 1900s (the so called particle zoo), but I can't remember the quote exactly, and I don't remember who said it, and my google-fu can not find it at the moment... it was something like this:

"the next one who discovers a new particle should not get a prize, instead he should have to pay a penalty for it"
(or something like that)

I tried my google-fu again and I found the quote:
Willis Lamb said:
I have heard it said that "the finder of a new elementary particle used to be rewarded by a Nobel Prize, but such a discovery now ought to be punished by a $10,000 fine."
said by Willis Lamb during his Nobel Prize acceptance speech in 1955. However, I think this is regretfully arbitrary; it is not clear from the quote if Lamb was joking when he said "I have heard", in which case this is the actual original quote, or if he was serious, in which case the quote was said by someone else.
Source: David Griffiths, Introduction to Elementary Particles, page 32.

1. What is the importance of memorable quotes from mathematicians and physicists?

Memorable quotes from mathematicians and physicists serve as a source of inspiration and insight into the minds of these brilliant scientists. They can also provide a deeper understanding of complex concepts and theories.

2. Who are some famous mathematicians and physicists known for their memorable quotes?

Some famous mathematicians and physicists known for their memorable quotes include Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Galileo Galilei, Stephen Hawking, and Pythagoras.

3. Are there any famous quotes from mathematicians and physicists that have had a significant impact on science?

Yes, there are many quotes from mathematicians and physicists that have had a significant impact on science. For example, Albert Einstein's quote "Imagination is more important than knowledge" has inspired countless scientists to think outside the box and come up with groundbreaking ideas.

4. How can memorable quotes from mathematicians and physicists be used in education?

Memorable quotes from mathematicians and physicists can be used in education to engage students and make complex concepts more relatable. They can also serve as a starting point for discussions and debates in the classroom.

5. Where can I find a collection of memorable quotes from mathematicians and physicists?

There are many websites and books that compile memorable quotes from mathematicians and physicists. Some popular sources include BrainyQuote, Goodreads, and Wikiquote. Additionally, many universities and institutions have online archives dedicated to famous quotes from scientists.