Method of characteristics: Discontinuous source

In summary, the conversation discusses a dimensionless continuity equation and its initial conditions, with the goal of finding the maximum allowed density in a queue. The approach of ignoring the x-dependence of the ODE is questioned and it is discussed how to ensure that the density does not exceed 1. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the behavior after t=0 and whether the 10m front is full. The definitions of x and ρ, as well as the value of β, are also brought up.
GwtBc
Homework Statement
Due to the global outbreak of COVID-19, in order to limit the spread of the virus, the government has placed limits on the number of people that can be inside a building at any given time. Due to this initiative, a queue often forms at the entrance to the Woolworths on Lygon Street; assume this queue is one long, straight, line.

The government regulations also mandate that there must be a minimum of 1.5m between each customer—this determines the maximum density of customers in the queue. While waiting for their morning coffee, a research scientist has observed that, if the queue is empty, a customer entering the queue will walk at 1.4m/s—this is the maximum velocity of customers in the queue.

They have also determined, again by observation, that there is a linear relationship between the density of customers and their velocity, which is defined by the bounds given above. The first 10 metres of the queue is sectioned off and so people are only able to enter if they are already in the queue. However, behind this point, people become confused about where to enter the queue and so they enter at a random position, at a rate of α customers per metre per second; model this random entry as a constant (per unit time, per unit length).

During the lunch time peak hour, the supermarket is at its maximum government mandated capacity, however it is functioning efficiently and so customers in the queue are moving at maximum flux. At time t = 0, a malfunction in the checkout machines results in customers unable to exit the supermarket, and so customers at the beginning of the queue cannot enter the building. Solve the governing equations using the method of characteristics and construct the space-time diagram. In so doing, identify the presence of any shocks and fans (if either exist).
Relevant Equations
##\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial J}{\partial x} = f(x,t)##
##J = \rho v##
Hello all, this question really has me and some friends stomped so advice would be appreciated.

Ok so, the relevant (dimensionless) continuity equation I have found to be
$$\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} + (1-2\rho)\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x} = \begin{cases} \beta, \hspace{3mm} x < 0 \\ 0, \hspace{3mm} x \geq 0 \end{cases}$$
Where ##\beta## is the rate at which people enter the queue behind ##x = 0##, and we are using length scale of ##10## s.t. ##10m \rightarrow x=1##. Now on a characteristic given by $$ \dot{x} = 1-2\rho$$, we find $$ \dot{\rho} = \begin{cases} \beta, \hspace{3mm} x < 0 \\ 0, \hspace{3mm} x \geq 0 \end{cases}$$

From the statement of the question, the relevant initial conditions are ##x(0)=s##, and ##\rho(s,0)= \begin{cases} 1/2 ,\hspace{3mm} x < 1 \\ 1, \hspace{3mm} x \geq \end{cases}##
We also need to ensure that at every point ##\rho(x,t) \leq 1## since this gives the maximum allowed density in the queue (since ρ=ρreal/ρmaxin dimensionless form).

Now until now in my attempts to solve this question I have naively written $$ \dot{\rho} = \begin{cases} \beta, \hspace{3mm} x < 0 \\ 0, \hspace{3mm} x \geq 0 \end{cases} \Rightarrow \rho = \begin{cases} \beta t, \hspace{3mm} s < 0 \\ 0, \hspace{3mm} s \geq 0 \end{cases} + \rho(s,0)$$ In other words, I have somewhat ignored the x dependence of the discontinuity in ##\dot{\rho}## by saying that it only depends on the initial condition. I don't like ignoring the x-dependence of the ODE but I'm not sure how to deal with it otherwise. Additionally, this approach implies that for##s < 0## the density goes to infinity as ##t \rightarrow \infty##, which does not make sense. Is this the right approach? If so, then how are we to ensure that ##\rho## does not exceed ##1##?

edit:fixed formatting

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what happened with the latex but it's fixed now.

Likes berkeman
I assume we only need to consider the behaviour after t=0, but it depends rather critically on whether the 10m front is full. What are you assuming there?
How are you defining x and ρ, and what is β?

1. What is the method of characteristics?

The method of characteristics is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations. It involves transforming the partial differential equation into a system of ordinary differential equations, which can then be solved using standard techniques.

2. How does the method of characteristics handle discontinuous sources?

The method of characteristics can handle discontinuous sources by incorporating them into the initial conditions of the problem. This allows for a more accurate solution, as the discontinuities are taken into account at the beginning of the problem rather than being approximated throughout the solution.

3. What types of problems can the method of characteristics solve?

The method of characteristics is commonly used to solve problems involving wave propagation, such as those found in acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It can also be used to solve problems involving heat transfer and diffusion.

4. What are the limitations of the method of characteristics?

One limitation of the method of characteristics is that it is only applicable to linear partial differential equations. It also requires the initial conditions and boundary conditions to be specified at the same time, which may not always be possible in real-world problems.

5. How does the method of characteristics compare to other numerical methods?

The method of characteristics is often preferred over other numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, for problems involving wave propagation. This is because it can handle discontinuous sources more accurately and efficiently. However, it may not be the best choice for problems with complex geometries or nonlinear equations.