Metric for Circular Orbit of Two Bodies

In summary, the approximate solution is that the gravitational waves emitted by a pair of bodies in a circular orbit emit in a radial direction. The metric is approximately satisfied by a non-gauge formula, and the solution is re-written in an orthonormal basis of one-forms.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
I finally found a result I believe for the the asymptotic metric (valid for large r) of a pair of bodies in a circular orbit emitting gravitational waves. I use spherical coordinates, ##[t, r, \theta, \phi]##.

If we let the linearized metric ##g_{\mu\nu}## be equal to the sum of a flat metric ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## and a pertubation metric ##h_{\mu\nu}##, then the approximate solution is:

$$\eta_{\mu\nu} = \begin{bmatrix} -c^2 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & r^2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & r^2 \sin^2 \theta \end{bmatrix} \quad h_{\mu\nu} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & k r \cos \psi & k r \sin \theta \sin \psi \\ 0 & 0 & k r \sin \theta \sin \psi & -k r \sin^2 \theta \cos \psi \end{bmatrix}$$

Here k is an arbitrary constant which depends on the quadrupole moment of the pair of bodies, and ##\psi = 2 \omega (t - r/c)## is a function of retarded time t-r/c. The wave propagates radially outward from the origin. In my actual calculations I simplified things by setting c=1 and ##\omega## = 1/2.

This metric only satisfies the Einstein field equations for large r. Because of this, rather than using the Lorentz gauge (which the solution only approximately satisfies), I used the arbitrary non-gauge formula to compute the Ricci tensor to check the solution. The specifics were:

$$\Gamma^a{}_{bc} = \frac{1}{2}( h_a{}^u{}_{,b} + h_b{}^u{}_{,a} - h_{ab}{}^{,u}) \quad R^a{}_{bcd} = \Gamma^a{}_{bd,c} - \Gamma^a{}_{bc,d} \quad R_{bc} = R^a{}_{bac}$$

Here a comma represents taking the partial derivative. Note that only partial derivatives are needed, something that surprised me enough that I rechecked my text (MTW) on the topic.

I found it convenient to re-write the metric and the Ricci tensor I computed from the above in an orthonormal basis of one-forms with
$$e^\hat{t} = dt \quad e^\hat{r} = dr \quad e^\hat{\theta} = r d\theta \quad e^\hat{\phi} = r \sin \theta \, d \phi$$

Representing the tensors in this basis by putting a "hat" over the basis symbols, I found:

$$h_{\hat{a}\hat{b}} = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & k \frac{\cos \psi}{r} & k \frac{\sin \psi}{r} \\ 0 & 0 & k \frac{\sin \psi}{r} & - k \frac{ \cos \psi}{r} \end{bmatrix} R_{\hat{a}\hat{b}} \approx \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & O(\frac{1}{r^2}) \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & O(\frac{1}{r^3}) \\ 0 & 0 & O(\frac{1}{r^2}) & O(\frac{1}{r^2}) \\ O(\frac{1}{r^2}) & O(\frac{1}{r^3}) & O(\frac{1}{r^2}) & O(\frac{1}{r^3}) \end{bmatrix} $$

Note the solution isn't quite completely correct to order 1/r, because it is linearized to a flat background metric, when we really expect the static part of the metric for a pair of orbiting bodies to be not quite flat, but to have time dilation terms in ##g_{tt}## of order 1/r.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
This metric only satisfies the Einstein field equations for large r.

I assume you mean the vacuum EFE, correct?

pervect said:
I used the arbitrary non-gauge formula to compute the Ricci tensor to check the solution. The specifics were:

$$
\Gamma^a{}_{bc} = \frac{1}{2}( h_a{}^u{}_{,b} + h_b{}^u{}_{,a} - h_{ab}{}^{,u}) \quad R^a{}_{bcd} = \Gamma^a{}_{bd,c} - \Gamma^a{}_{bc,d} \quad R_{bc} = R^a{}_{bac}
$$

Here a comma represents taking the partial derivative.

Shouldn't there be terms involving products of the ##\Gamma^a{}_{bc}## in the Riemann tensor?

They are quadratic in the perturbation, so they are discarded.

dextercioby said:

Ah, ok.

dextercioby said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

1. What is the definition of a "Circular Orbit" for two bodies?

A circular orbit is a type of orbit in which two bodies, such as a planet and its moon, revolve around each other in a perfect circle. This means that the distance between the two bodies remains constant throughout the orbit.

2. How do you calculate the "Metric" for a circular orbit of two bodies?

The metric for a circular orbit of two bodies is calculated using the standard equation for orbital motion, which takes into account the masses of the two bodies, the distance between them, and the gravitational constant. This metric is also known as the gravitational potential energy.

3. What is the significance of the "Metric" for a circular orbit of two bodies?

The metric for a circular orbit of two bodies is important because it allows us to understand the energy required to keep the two bodies in orbit around each other. It also helps us to compare different types of orbits and understand the stability of a particular orbit.

4. How does the "Metric" change for elliptical orbits compared to circular orbits?

The metric for elliptical orbits is different from that of circular orbits because the distance between the two bodies changes throughout the orbit. This means that the gravitational potential energy also changes, resulting in a different metric for the two types of orbits.

5. Can the "Metric" be used to predict the path of a circular orbit of two bodies?

Yes, the metric for a circular orbit of two bodies can be used to predict the path of the orbit. By understanding the energy required for the two bodies to remain in orbit, we can calculate the shape and size of the orbit. However, other factors such as external forces and perturbations may also affect the orbit.