Metric space and absolute value of difference.

In summary, Kolmogorov and Fomin describe a metric space and its relation to triangle inequality. They also provide a homework statement and homework equations. The absolute value is significant in the homework statement, but the steps to make the connection are not clear. The triangle inequality uses the same elements (x,y,z), but I take that to be coincidental and that I should not assume the (x,y,z,u) in this problem have that same relationship.welcome to pf!
anhedonia
I'm beginning self-study of real analysis based on 'Introductory Real Analysis' by Kolmogorov and Fomin. This is from section 5.2: 'Continuous mappings and homeomorphisms. Isometric Spaces', on page 45, Problem 1. This is my first post to these forums, but I'll try to get the latex right. Incidentally, I didn't find this particular question by searching; can I use latex in searches?

Homework Statement

Given a metric space [itex](X, \rho)[/itex], prove that
[tex] a) \ \ | \rho (x, z) - \rho (y,u) | \leq \rho (x, y) + \rho (z, u) \ \ \ \ (x, y, z, u \in X);[/tex]
[tex]b) \ \ | \rho (x, z) - \rho (y, z) | \leq \rho (x, y) \ \ \ \ (x, y, z \in X).[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of a metric space (Defn. 1, p. 37).

The Attempt at a Solution

Things that come to mind:
- absolute value is equivalent to taking square and root
- the signs change on (a): on the left is absolute value of a difference, on the right, the regular sum, but
- group of terms changes: (x,z) - (y,u) -> (x,y) + (z,u)

So I gather that the absolute value is significant here, but I don't see the steps to make the connection (square both sides, say). The definition of triangle inequality uses the same elements (x,y,z), but I take that to be coincidental and that I should not assume the (x,y,z,u) in this problem have that same relationship.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi anhedonia! welcome to pf! :smile:
anhedonia said:
[tex]b) \ \ | \rho (x, z) - \rho (y, z) | \leq \rho (x, y) \ \ \ \ (x, y, z \in X).[/tex]

The definition of triangle inequality uses the same elements (x,y,z), but I take that to be coincidental and that I should not assume the (x,y,z,u) in this problem have that same relationship.

i have no idea what you mean by this :confused:

in b), suppose ρ(x,z) > ρ(y,z) … how would you prove it then? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
i have no idea what you mean by this
Just that I shouldn't assume the relation of (x,y,z) given in the definition of the triangle inequality applies to the specific (x,y,z) given in this problem statement -- these are different instances of some [itex](x,y,z) \in X[/itex].

tiny-tim said:
...in b), suppose ρ(x,z) > ρ(y,z) … how would you prove it then? :wink:

I gather you're saying, essentially, refer back to the general definition of 'absolute value', which is piece-wise:
[tex]|a| =
\left\{
\begin{array}{l}
a,\ \ \text{if}\ a \geq 0 \\
-a,\ \text{if}\ a < 0
\end{array}
\right.
[/tex]

Meaning, split the problem in two and handle each case. That makes sense. I'll see where that gets me.

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of objects and a distance function that measures the distance between any two objects in the set. The distance function, also known as a metric, satisfies certain properties such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality.

2. How is the absolute value of difference used in a metric space?

The absolute value of difference is used as the distance function in a metric space. It measures the difference between two objects in the space, regardless of their direction. For example, in a 1-dimensional metric space, the absolute value of difference between two points is simply the distance between them on a number line.

3. What is the relationship between a metric space and a normed space?

A normed space is a special type of metric space where the metric is defined by a norm, which is a function that assigns a non-negative value to each element in the space. In other words, a normed space is a metric space equipped with a way to measure the "size" or "length" of its elements.

4. How is the absolute value of difference related to the concept of convergence in a metric space?

In a metric space, a sequence of points is said to converge to a limit point if the distance between the points in the sequence and the limit point approaches 0. The absolute value of difference is used to measure this distance and determine whether the sequence converges or not.

5. Can the absolute value of difference be used in non-numerical spaces?

Yes, the absolute value of difference can be used in non-numerical spaces as long as a distance function can be defined. For example, in a space of strings, the absolute value of difference between two strings can be the number of characters that are different between them.