Metric Space, Show that it's open

In summary: Thus the neighborhood is contained in {y| d(x,y)> r}, and so the set is open.In summary, the conversation discusses using the definition of openness in a metric space to show that the set of points in X that are a distance greater than r from a given point x is open for all r in the real numbers. The approach involves constructing a neighborhood around a point in the set and using the triangle inequality to show that all points in that neighborhood are also in the set, thus proving its openness.
szklany
Let (X,d) be a metric space, and x is an element in X. Show that [tex]\{y \in X|d(y,x)>r\}[/tex] is open for all r in Reals.

I really need some help with this one, I have almost no idea on how I am meant to solve this.

The only thing i know is that I have to use the Openness definition, that states something like [tex]\forall x_0 \in U \exists r>0| B_r \in U[/tex], where in U is a subelement of the metric space (X,d).

But i don't know how to get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
szklany said:
Let (X,d) be a metric space, and x is an element in X. Show that [tex]\{y \in X|d(y,x)>r\}[/tex] is open for all r in Reals.

I really need some help with this one, I have almost no idea on how I am meant to solve this.

The only thing i know is that I have to use the Openness definition, that states something like [tex]\forall x_0 \in U \exists r>0| B_r \in U[/tex], where in U is a subelement of the metric space (X,d).

But i don't know how to get started.
Let a be a point in {y| d(x,y)> r}. Then d(x,a)> r. Construct the neighborhood about a with radius (d(x,a)- r)/2. If b is any point in that neighborhood, use the triangle inequality to show that d(x, b)> r also.

Related to Metric Space, Show that it's open

1. What is a metric space?

A metric space is a mathematical concept that describes a set of objects where the distance between any two objects is defined by a function called a metric.

2. How do you show that a metric space is open?

To show that a metric space is open, you need to prove that for any point in the space, there exists a neighborhood around that point where all other points in the neighborhood are also in the space.

3. What is an open set in a metric space?

An open set in a metric space is a subset of the space that contains all of the points in the space that are not on the boundary of the set.

4. Are all metric spaces open?

No, not all metric spaces are open. A metric space can be open, closed, or neither, depending on the set and the metric used to define it.

5. How does the concept of openness relate to continuity?

In mathematics, continuity is a property of a function that is related to openness. A function is continuous if and only if the inverse image of every open set is also open.