Microscope converging lens problem

In summary, the problem involves a microscope slide placed in front of a converging lens with a focal length of 2.44 cm. The lens forms an image of the slide 12.9 cm from the slide. The task is to determine the distance between the lens and the slide if the image is real, using the equation 1/f = 1/di + 1/do. The solution involves using the product of 2.44 cm and 12.9 cm as the common denominator in the equation to solve for the distance between the lens and the slide.
FritoTaco

Homework Statement

A microscope slide is placed in front of a converging lens with a focal length of 2.44 cm. The lens forms an image of the slide 12.9 cm from the slide.

a. How far is the lens from the slide if the image is real?

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/di + 1/do The real equation (but harder in my opinion to read) is 1/p + 1/q = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if the image is real, focal length is positive on a converging lens (negative focal length for a diverging lens). I plugged 2.44cm into f and 12.9 into di. The problem is, I need a common denominator in this;
1/2.44 = 1/12.9 + 1/do. I can't find a least common multiple for 12.9 and 2.44. I tried to switched centimeters into millimeters and got 129mm and 24.4mm. This doesn't work because there's still a decimal in di (24.4mm). I don't know where to go from here because I'm use to using whole numbers but not decimals.

Physics news on Phys.org
2.44 and 12.9 are not integers. Use their product as common denominator.

Hey, it helped me a lot, thank you! I solved the problem correctly.
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1447849035.264989.jpg

Well done!

1. What is a microscope converging lens problem?

A microscope converging lens problem refers to a common issue encountered when using a microscope, where the image observed through the lens appears distorted, blurry, or out of focus.

2. What causes a microscope converging lens problem?

A microscope converging lens problem is usually caused by a misalignment of the lens, dirt or debris on the lens, or incorrect adjustments of the lens or its components.

3. How can I fix a microscope converging lens problem?

The first step to fixing a microscope converging lens problem is to carefully clean the lens and its components. If this does not solve the issue, check for any misalignments and make necessary adjustments. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the lens or seek professional assistance.

4. Can a microscope converging lens problem affect my observations?

Yes, a microscope converging lens problem can significantly affect your observations by distorting or blurring the image, making it difficult to accurately observe and analyze the specimen.

5. How can I prevent a microscope converging lens problem?

To prevent a microscope converging lens problem, it is important to regularly clean and maintain the lens and its components. Additionally, handle the microscope with care and avoid any rough movements or impacts that could misalign the lens.