Microwaves and heating on molecular level

In summary, the individual is seeking an equation to determine the change in temperature of water when heated with microwaves, based on the characteristic features of the radiation and the fluctuating dipole moment of water molecules. They mention the Specific Absorption Rate and the efficiency of microwave heating, and recommend looking into chemical polarity for more information.
Gavroy
hi

i am currently dealing with this problem here: i have some water and want to heat it up with microwaves. how do I determine the change in temperature of the water when i just know the characteristic features of the radiation? is there an equation for it? of course this process is not linear and saying that the energy of the incident radiation is equal to the temperature difference is not really what i am looking for.
i am rather looking for an equation on a molecular level.

it should have something to do with the fluctuating dipole moment of the water molecule in the electric field of the microwave. but how do I determine the temperature difference by using this? any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do microwaves heat food on a molecular level?

Microwaves use electromagnetic radiation to generate heat in food. These waves cause water molecules in the food to vibrate, which creates friction and heat. This heat then spreads throughout the food, heating it evenly from the inside out.

2. Are microwaves safe for heating food on a molecular level?

Yes, microwaves are generally considered safe for heating food. However, it is important to follow proper usage and safety guidelines, such as using microwave-safe containers and avoiding metal objects in the microwave.

3. Can microwaves affect the nutritional value of food on a molecular level?

Studies have shown that microwaves do not significantly affect the nutritional value of food. Any changes in nutrients are typically due to the cooking method itself, not the use of microwaves.

4. How do microwaves differ from other methods of heating on a molecular level?

Microwaves use electromagnetic radiation, while other methods such as stovetop cooking use direct contact with a heat source. Microwaves can also heat food faster and more evenly than other methods.

5. Can microwaves cause chemical changes in food on a molecular level?

Microwaves can cause some chemical changes in food, such as breaking down certain nutrients at high temperatures. However, these changes are not unique to microwaves and can also occur with other cooking methods.