What is the Difference Between a TeX Distribution and a TeX Editor?

In summary, to learn LaTex, you will need to install MikTex and a TeX editor or IDE, such as TexStudio. If you encounter any problems during installation, make sure you have administrator rights and uninstall any previous versions of MikTex. Once installed, you can use the TeX editor or IDE to create and view your LaTex documents.
mech-eng
To learn LaTex, I want to install MikTex but in installing it, I come across with a problem.
installation error.png

It appears when click next. What is the problem and how can I solve it?

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
First question is whether you install using administrator account. If you do, then have you another installation of MikTex there?

QuantumQuest said:
First question is whether you install using administrator account. If you do, then have you another installation of MikTex there?

There is folder named miktex under the folder Program Files (x86). But there are a lot of subfolder under miktex folder. So how will I proceed now?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
There is folder named miktex under the folder Program Files (x86). But there are a lot of subfolder under miktex folder. So how will I proceed now?

From your answer, I assume that you use administrator rights - if you don't you have to do so. Now, what do you mean there are a lot of subfolders there? You are in the process of installing. Were these files created by the current installation process or they were already there i.e. there is a previous installation of MikTex on your machine?

QuantumQuest said:
From your answer, I assume that you use administrator rights - if you don't you have to do so. Now, what do you mean there are a lot of subfolders there? You are in the process of installing. Were these files created by the current installation process or they were already there i.e. there is a previous installation of MikTex on your machine?

Probably, yes there is a previous installation of MikTex on my machine as you suspected in #2.

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
Probably, yes there is a previous installation of MikTex on my machine as you suspected in #2.

If that's the case, then uninstall the previous version of MikTex, using the relevant section of the control panel and make sure that nothing is left in "Program Files" from the previous installation of MikTex. Then you have to do the installation for the version of MikTex you want, all over again.

EDIT: If you run Windows 10 you can uninstall programs by just using your start menu.

Last edited:
But if it is installed, isn't it better to use it, but I cannot start it orI cannot find its exe file to start. How I can try to start it?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
But if it is installed, isn't it better to use it, but I cannot start it orI cannot find its exe file to start. How I can try to start it?

MikTex is a TeX distribution. In order to use it, you need a TeX editor or IDE to edit, compile and view TeX documents. I recommend TexStudio, which is a decent and free LaTeX IDE but there are other great TeX editors / IDEs as well. You can find it here. You can download and install it. It features syntax highlighting, autocompletion, inline spell and grammar checker and much more. It is best to install it having already a TeX distribution installation (like MikTex) on your machine, in order to be identified by TexStudio. If it won't, there is an easy configuration process you can easily find on the net.

Likes mech-eng
QuantumQuest said:
MikTex is a TeX distribution. In order to use it, you need a TeX editor or IDE to edit, compile and view TeX documents.

What is the difference between a TeX distribution and a TeX editor?

Thank you.

mech-eng said:
What is the difference between a TeX distribution and a TeX editor?

Thank you.
The same as the difference betwen a compiler and an IDE in programming.

The distribution is the set of programs and packages that allow your computer to process a TeX file into a finished document. It can be used by issuing some commands in a terminal window (as was always the case before windowing came around). To create the TeX file, you need some kind of editor (anything from Notepad to emacs).

A TeX editor or IDE serves as a windowing front end and will include an editor to create your TeX file and will display the finshed result (e.g., the PDF file), with everything running with button clicks instead of command lines.

Likes mech-eng

1. What is MikTex installation error?

MikTex installation error is an issue that occurs when attempting to install the MikTex software, which is a popular tool for compiling and typesetting documents in LaTeX.

2. What causes MikTex installation error?

There can be several causes for MikTex installation error, including incomplete or corrupt download of the software, compatibility issues with the operating system, and conflicts with other software or antivirus programs.

3. How can I fix MikTex installation error?

To fix MikTex installation error, try redownloading the software from a reliable source and make sure to complete the download before attempting to install. You should also check for any compatibility issues with your operating system and try disabling any antivirus programs before installing.

4. Are there any troubleshooting steps for MikTex installation error?

Yes, you can try running the installer as an administrator, disabling any firewalls or security software, and ensuring that you have enough disk space and memory for the installation. You can also try installing an older version of MikTex or seeking help from the MikTex community forums.

5. How can I prevent MikTex installation error?

To prevent MikTex installation error, make sure to download the software from a reliable source, check for compatibility with your operating system, and temporarily disable any antivirus or security software before installing. It may also be helpful to regularly update your operating system and MikTex software.