Miller Indices for FCC and BCC and XRay Diffraction Peaks

In summary: Indices.pdfIn summary, the conversation is about using X-Ray diffraction to determine the crystal structure of common salts. This involves finding the Miller Indices for the crystal structures being considered and matching the peaks in the X-Ray data to these indices using Bragg's law. The person is struggling with determining the Miller Indices and is seeking help on how to calculate them based on the locations of atoms in the lattice. Resources on crystal lattices and Miller indices are mentioned as potential references for learning more about the topic.
LukeD
In my Physics lab, I'm doing X-Ray diffraction and attempting to determine the crystal structure of some common salts. To do this, I first need to determine the Miller Indices for the crystal structures that I'm considering. I can then match the location of peaks in X-Ray data (we're using monochromatic light) to the Miller Indices. (via Bragg's law)

I, however, only have a rough idea of how to find the Miller Indices of all of the planes I should be considering.

Relevant equations
By Bragg's law, we have that for two peaks in our X-Ray data located at [tex]\theta_1[/tex] and [tex]\theta_2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\sin^2 (\theta_1)}{\sin^2 (\theta_2)}=\frac{h_1^2+k_1^2+l_1^2}{h_2^2+k_2^2+l_2^2}[/tex]

The attempt at a solution

For the simple cubic lattice, which is one of the structures I'm considering, I know that I have the planes (100),(110),(111) and various permutation of those optionally involving minus signs.

I can figure out the Miller Indices of a plane if I can see clearly where the plane intersects the axes (and in my lab, we have some models of crystals, so I was using that), but I can't seem to figure out the planes or Miller Indices or anything from just the description of a crystal structure.

If I know the locations of all of the atoms, how can I calculate the Miller Indices of the planes that touch these atoms?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the significance of Miller Indices in crystallography?

Miller Indices are a set of three numbers used to describe the orientation of a crystal plane in a crystalline material. They are used to identify and index specific crystallographic planes and directions, and are an important tool for understanding the structure and properties of materials.

What is the difference between FCC and BCC crystal structures?

FCC (face-centered cubic) and BCC (body-centered cubic) are two common crystal structures found in metallic materials. The main difference between them lies in the arrangement of atoms within the unit cell. In FCC structures, atoms are arranged in a face-centered cubic lattice, while in BCC structures, atoms are arranged in a body-centered cubic lattice. This results in different packing efficiencies and mechanical properties for the two structures.

How are Miller Indices determined for FCC and BCC structures?

Miller Indices for FCC and BCC structures are determined by taking the reciprocals of the intercepts of a crystal plane on the three axes of the unit cell. For example, in an FCC structure, a plane that intersects the x, y, and z axes at 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 respectively, would have Miller Indices of (2,3,4). These indices can then be used to identify and describe the orientation of a specific crystal plane.

What is the relationship between Miller Indices and X-ray diffraction peaks?

Miller Indices are closely related to X-ray diffraction peaks, as the indices can be used to predict and interpret the diffraction patterns of a crystalline material. When X-rays are diffracted by a crystal, the angles and intensities of the resulting peaks can be used to determine the spacing and orientation of crystal planes, which can then be related back to the Miller Indices of those planes. This allows for the identification and characterization of different crystal structures through X-ray diffraction analysis.

Why are Miller Indices important in materials science and engineering?

Miller Indices are important in materials science and engineering because they provide a way to describe and understand the structure of crystalline materials. By using Miller Indices to identify and index specific crystal planes, researchers can gain insight into the properties and behavior of materials on a microscopic level. This information can then be used to design and engineer materials with desired properties for various applications in industries such as aerospace, electronics, and construction.