Mini road trip: fall festival fun

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Fun
In summary, the Central Railroad Festival in Central, Walhalla's Oktoberfest, and Clinton's fall festival all had similar activities and food. The Central Railroad Festival had a goat milk soap booth, while Clinton's festival had a food truck specializing in German food. There was a large tent where visitors could buy large mugs of beer and listen to a German-style band. The Central Railroad Festival's main theme was a barbecue contest, while the Clinton's festival had a contest for the best barbecue. The Clinton's fireworks show was around 9:30pm.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
On Saturday, I took advantage of a crisp sunny day to visit two festivals in small towns a couple of hours' drive from home.

Stop 1

My first stop was at the Central Railroad Festival in the town of Central, which is nowhere near the center of South Carolina. It's way up in the northwest corner of the state, not far from Clemson and its university. The name comes from its location midway between Atlanta and Charlotte, on the railroad which was completed between those cities in 1873. In fact, the town was founded by the railroad company.

central.jpg

Here I learned that goat milk soap is a thing.

goatmilksoap.jpg

In keeping with the festival theme, the Norfolk Southern Railway, which now owns the railroad, sent a couple of trains through while I was there.

train.jpg

Central is home to a railroad club which operates a museum a block off Main Street. They have a large model railroad that winds through several rooms, on two levels.

layout1.jpg

layout2.jpg

• Love
Likes Fervent Freyja, Hamiltonian, rsk and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
This is quite cool especially the multi-room railroad setup.

Likes rsk
So nice. Beautiful. Thanks

Stop 2

About a 45 minute drive from Central via Clemson is Walhalla. It was settled by immigrants who fled Germany after the failed revolutions of 1848-49. Therefore its annual fall festival is an Oktoberfest.

oktoberfest.jpg

Most of the food and activities were similar to other festivals in the area.

midway.jpg

funhouse.jpg

One food truck specialized in German food.

heidelberg.jpg

And there was a large tent where visitors could buy large mugs of beer and listen to a German-style band, which was taking a break when I took this picture.

tent.jpg

I suspect the festival was more crowded in the evening, but I wanted to finish my two-hour drive home before dark.

Likes Fervent Freyja, collinsmark, berkeman and 1 other person
Stop 3 (a week later)

A week after this day trip, my town (Clinton SC) had its own festival. This time I could simply walk downtown, about a mile, instead of driving.

panorama.jpg

There were a couple of carnival rides for the kids.

jitterbug.jpg

And a "Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Show".

paulbunyan.jpg

And the usual festival food. Here I got some chili cheese fries.

fastfood.jpg

chilicheese.jpg

The main theme here was a barbecue contest, with about 6 or 7 booths and food trucks. I decided to go with this one, and get some pulled pork.

rubbingbutts.jpg

pulledpork.jpg

After I got home, I didn't need any dinner. Nevertheless, I wasn't completely done with the festival, because around 9:30 there was a fireworks show. We couldn't see it from our house, but we could definitely hear it!

Likes collinsmark, mcastillo356 and jedishrfu
jtbell said:
And a "Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Show".
What does the Lumberjack do when he jumps into that Octagon Pit? Does he 'wrassel' something short?

berkeman said:
Does he 'wrassel' something short?
They should at least have some beavers in there. :cool:

• Haha
Likes berkeman

1. What is a fall festival?

A fall festival is an event that typically takes place during the autumn season and celebrates the harvest and changing of the seasons. It often includes activities such as pumpkin picking, hayrides, corn mazes, and other traditional fall activities.

2. Where can I find a fall festival for a mini road trip?

You can find fall festivals for a mini road trip by searching online for events in your desired location. Local newspapers and community websites may also have information about upcoming fall festivals.

3. What should I bring on a mini road trip to a fall festival?

It is recommended to bring comfortable clothes and shoes, sunscreen, a hat, and a jacket in case of cooler weather. You may also want to bring cash for food and activities, as well as a camera to capture the memories.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take while on a mini road trip to a fall festival?

It is always important to practice safety while on a road trip. Make sure to have a designated driver if you plan on drinking alcohol at the festival. Also, be aware of your surroundings and watch out for any potential hazards, such as uneven terrain or large crowds.

5. Are there any educational aspects to fall festivals?

Many fall festivals offer educational activities, such as learning about different types of crops and how they are harvested. Some festivals may also offer workshops or demonstrations on traditional fall activities, such as apple cider making or pumpkin carving.