Mini road trip: Licking my chops

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    road trip
In summary, the road trip is going well. I've visited two interesting places, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the area over the next few days.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This weekend, I'm on a road trip to a coin/stamp show in Raleigh, North Carolina. I'm actually staying next door in Cary, which I was once told is an acronym for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees."

My first stop on the way here on Friday was a sort of "bucket list" item. I had never visited South Carolina's only Indian (Native American) reservation, the Catawba reservation near Rock Hill, because it's significantly out of the way from the routes that I use for my regular day-trips to Charlotte NC. I chose my route to Raleigh specifically to include it.

The Catawba Cultural Center has exhibits about Catawba history and culture, and a gift shop with crafts by Catawba artists.

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_0244.jpeg

IMG_0245.jpeg

IMG_0246.jpeg

IMG_0247.jpeg

A trail leads down to the nearby Catawba River, about a mile, but I didn't try it because of heat and humidity. I'll keep it in mind for next fall, when I may be passing that way again.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, mcastillo356 and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, @jtbell, I've enjoyed specially this mini road trip.

The fourth pot in the photo, the one with the four tubes on the sides, I suppose, how is it ment to use?
Wild cat depicted reminds me of the Iberian lynx. Is it also among the endangered felines, in America?

Greetings!

mcastillo356 said:
The fourth pot in the photo, the one with the four tubes on the sides, I suppose, how is it ment to use?
Luckily I remember some of the description from the display. :smile: it's a "peace pipe", intended to be smoked by the participants to a peace treaty (maybe other agreements also). Each person uses a different mouthpiece (tube).
mcastillo356 said:
Wild cat depicted reminds me of the Iberian lynx. Is it also among the endangered felines, in America?
Here we have the bobcat (red lynx or lynx rufus). It appears not to be endangered, except maybe in some local areas, as with other wildlife near urban areas.

I'll post more pictures from other stops over the next few days. I had long driving days to and from Raleigh (Friday and Sunday).

• Love
Likes berkeman and mcastillo356
jtbell said:
it's a "peace pipe", intended to be smoked by the participants to a peace treaty (maybe other agreements also). Each person uses a different mouthpiece (tube).
Yes, they were a very careful and sanitary people, especially during the Covid pandemic.

Oh wait... :wink:

• Sad
Likes hutchphd and mcastillo356
berkeman said:
Yes, they were a very careful and sanitary people,
Or maybe the idea was for everybody to smoke at the same time, getting up close and personal!

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and berkeman
My second stop on Friday was at the train station in Hamlet NC. This was once a major junction of the Seaboard Air Line, which is now part of CSX. Amtrak's Silver Star stops here on its way between New York and Miami, via Raleigh NC and Columbia SC.

IMG_0261.jpeg

IMG_0259.jpeg

IMG_0255.jpeg

IMG_0256.jpeg

The track next to us is the N/S route used by Amtrak. The E/W track crossing in front of us runs from the coast at Wilmington NC to Atlanta GA and Birmingham AL, passing a couple hundred meters from my house along the way. Also note on the map, the station at Catawba SC, not far from the reservation that I visited earlier in the day.

IMG_0257.jpeg

The Amtrak station wasn't open because its trains stop here late at night and very early in the morning. One wing of the building houses a museum which was open.

IMG_0253.jpeg

It has a large model of the station and yard/shop areas in the SAL's heyday during the early to mid 1900s. It shows four N/S and two E/W tracks passing the station.

IMG_0254.jpeg

There's another railroad museum a couple of blocks away, the "National Railroad Museum and Hall of Fame", but it closed at 4pm, right about the time I arrived in town. Next trip, maybe.

jtbell said:
The track next to us is the N/S route used by Amtrak. The E/W track crossing in front of us
How do crossing tracks like that work? It looks like there's a discontinuity in the left-right track...?

The rails need to have gaps to accommodate the flanges of wheels crossing them perpendicularly. A Google search led me to a closeup of this exact crossing:

IMG_0263.jpeg

There's a lot of extra steel to withstand the pounding these crossings get.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Astronuc
Heading north from Hamlet, highway US-1 parallels the CSX/Amtrak line. About 30 miles along, I came to Aberdeen.

IMG_0266.jpeg

Amtrak doesn't stop here. The station is now a museum which is currently open only by appointment. A few years ago, i.e. before Covid, it had regular opening hours and I was able to visit it then.

Two shortline railroads meet CSX here: the Aberdeen & Rockfish which runs east to Fayetteville, and the Aberdeen Carolina & Western which runs west to Charlotte.

IMG_0267.jpeg

This was my last stop before Raleigh.

On Saturday I drove over to the North Carolina state fairgrounds in Raleigh for the main goal of this trip.

This was the Raleigh Coin Club's big annual event, bigger than most stamp shows I've been to, except for the big national one put on by the American Philatelic Society every summer. Here there were also about a half dozen stamp and postcard dealers, some of whom I'm familiar with from stamp shows in the region.

IMG_0271.jpeg

The "educational exhibits" included coins from the Danish West Indies, which became the US Virgin Islands in 1917.

IMG_0272.jpeg

The Reed Gold Mine state historic site near Charlotte, which I showed you all a couple of months ago, had a guy demonstrating how to pan for gold. I suspect this was his vehicle in the parking lot:

IMG_0273.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes mcastillo356
A couple of weeks ago I showed you a replica of the cabin where President Andrew Johnson was born:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/mini-road-trip-top-of-the-east.1052935/post-6902954

After I left the coin show on Saturday, I drove into Raleigh to see the original cabin.

IMG_0278.jpeg

It's in the Mordecai Historic Park, in a residential neighborhood just north of downtown. The park's centerpiece is the Mordecai House, originally built in 1785 and enlarged in the 1820s. Its original owner sold part of his 5000-acre plantation for founding the city of Raleigh.

IMG_0279.jpeg

The park also contains several smaller buildings including the Johnson birthplace, moved there from other sites in Raleigh, to form a sort of historical village.

IMG_0280.jpeg

One can enter the buildings only on a guided tour. I arrived too late for that. Even the visitor center and its exhibits were closing up just as I arrived.

So I walked around the park a bit and then left for my last stop of the day.

Now you'll see the inspiration for the thread title. :smile:

I drove to a dot on the map, outside Raleigh, because of its name and some Googling.

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

A local business has gained some fame because of a cable TV series: Lizard Lick Towing (2011-2014):

IMG_0287.jpeg

1. What is a "mini road trip"?

A mini road trip is a short journey or trip by car, typically lasting a day or less. It is usually taken for leisure or to explore a nearby destination.

2. Why is the phrase "licking my chops" used in the context of a road trip?

The phrase "licking my chops" is often used to express excitement or anticipation, similar to the feeling one may have before embarking on a road trip. It also has a connotation of savoring or enjoying something, which can be applied to the experience of a road trip.

3. What are some benefits of taking a mini road trip?

Mini road trips can offer a break from routine and provide opportunities for adventure and exploration. They can also be a budget-friendly way to travel and can help reduce stress and improve overall well-being.

4. Are there any potential downsides to taking a mini road trip?

Some potential downsides of a mini road trip include unexpected expenses, traffic, and potential safety hazards on the road. It is important to plan and prepare for these potential challenges before embarking on a road trip.

5. How can I make the most out of a mini road trip?

To make the most out of a mini road trip, it is important to plan ahead and research your destination. This can include finding interesting stops along the way, packing necessary items, and setting a realistic budget. Additionally, it can be helpful to have a flexible schedule and be open to unexpected detours or experiences.