Minimization of a Multi Output Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of minimizing the number of gates needed to solve for multiple outputs in a circuit. The speaker has tools like Karnaugh maps to find the minimum for individual outputs, but is looking for techniques to minimize the overall number of gates used for all 7 outputs. They also mention the possibility of using wider fan-in gates for this task.
carlodelmundo
Hi all.

I have a 4 input circuit (ABCD). I have 7 outputs that accompany this circuit. Now, I have tools (like Karnaugh maps) to solve for Standard Sum of Products (or Product of Sum) form for individual outputs. I have the minimum of each output based on the Karnaugh map.

However, I want to minimize the amount of gates to use for ALL 7 outputs (ie: if 2 or more outputs can share a gate).

How can I accomplish this? What techniques can I use to find the minimum?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
carlodelmundo said:
Hi all.

I have a 4 input circuit (ABCD). I have 7 outputs that accompany this circuit. Now, I have tools (like Karnaugh maps) to solve for Standard Sum of Products (or Product of Sum) form for individual outputs. I have the minimum of each output based on the Karnaugh map.

However, I want to minimize the amount of gates to use for ALL 7 outputs (ie: if 2 or more outputs can share a gate).

How can I accomplish this? What techniques can I use to find the minimum?

Interesting question. I don't know of a general technique (but there certainly could be one). When you compare the terms for each output, do you see any commonalities? Are you limited to 2-input gates, or can you use wider fan-in gates?

Related to Minimization of a Multi Output Circuit

1. What is "Minimization of a Multi Output Circuit"?

"Minimization of a Multi Output Circuit" refers to the process of simplifying a circuit with multiple outputs by reducing the number of logic gates and inputs needed to achieve the desired outputs. This is done in order to reduce the complexity and size of the circuit and improve its performance.

2. Why is it important to minimize a multi output circuit?

Minimizing a multi output circuit is important because it helps to reduce the cost, size, and power consumption of the circuit. It also improves the speed and reliability of the circuit, making it more efficient and easier to maintain.

3. What are the different methods used for minimizing a multi output circuit?

There are several methods used for minimizing a multi output circuit, including Karnaugh maps, Boolean algebra, Quine-McCluskey method, and the use of computer-aided design (CAD) tools. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for different types of circuits.

4. What are the challenges in minimizing a multi output circuit?

Some of the challenges in minimizing a multi output circuit include dealing with complex logic functions, choosing the most suitable method for the specific circuit, and balancing trade-offs between different design parameters such as speed, area, and power consumption. In addition, the designer must also consider the limitations of the technologies and components used in the circuit.

5. What are some potential applications of minimizing a multi output circuit?

The minimization of a multi output circuit is commonly used in various electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and other digital systems. It can also be applied in more specialized fields such as in the design of integrated circuits, microcontrollers, and communication systems.